Is there such a thing as a dwarf Pecan Tree?

We’d like to grow a pecan tree, but really don’t want a huge tree if possible. Are there any varieties that grow smaller, or is it possible to prune it to keep it small? Thanks, Ed

No real dwarf but some are more vigorous than others. Pruning can help some but you are still talking at least 20-25ft tall for a bearing tree. That’s some pretty high pruning. I don’t think keeping them much smaller is possible while still having decent nuts. There are better trees if you need less than 25ft tall. Like ones you won’t need to prune.

There is a genetic dwarf variety called Cheyenne that I researched because I was in your position of not wanting a huge tree.

Two problems:

1. You’ll still need another variety to pollinate it, and that variety won’t be a genetic dwarf. (Though I suppose you could graft a pollinator to an existing tree? Theoretically? But I’ve heard grafting pecans is a pain in the butt.)

2. It is disease prone enough that it is not recommended for planting in the SE. (Where I live.)

Here’s a link from the UGA website: http://pecanbreeding.uga.edu/cultivars/cheyenne/cheyenne.html

It seems like either pawnee or kanza, I don’t remember which of the two, only gets 30 feet tall. But again you would need a polonizer

It’s smaller but not a dwarf and not a genetic dwarf. It’s simply less vigorous like Goldrush apple is less vigorous than most apples. I grew it for 20 yrs in Amarillo and it wasn’t noticeably smaller than many others.

We do have dwarf pecans around here. They’re ones on poor soil with little water. I know of several 8-10ft tall for the past 10 yrs. They don’t bear much if any fruit. Pecan tree size is highly dependent on growing conditions.

To bear lots of well filled nuts pecans need lots of water and fertilizer. My pecan tree is 40ft tall. It would be 60 except for the ice storms.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the help. Looks like we might be out of luck on the pecans. Just don’t have the room for a big tree :frowning:

I have three pecan varieties planted in one hole, I am also pruning it to be low and spreading. It needs to be kept below 25’ or it will start blocking my solar panels. Its only a few years old now, we’ll see what I end up with :slight_smile:

I thought I had read Cheyenne was a genetic dwarf, but after I looked for a website to confirm my assertion I couldn’t find it. I suppose I had just read it was supposed to be smaller than other pecan trees–which get pretty dang large around here. One older house that we were considering buying had 8 huge pecan trees in their back yard. They were maybe…3-4 stories high? (I’m terrible at estimating height, but the house was two stories high and the trees were well over that.). They were beautiful specimens, but those 8 managed to shade an entire half-acre lot almost completely.

1 Like

If you want to really grow a dwarf pecan tree what I would suggest is do what I did find you a good section of a tree with healthy branches about the size of your wrist then right at the main part of the branch before the end splits out or branches out LOL strip a layer of the bark off all the way around making a ring around the branch with no bark take some peat moss soaking in water paint some rooting hormone on the area you just remove the bark wrap it with the peat moss completely around the branch then placed a plastic bag around it clear preferably and tape it on both ends it’s called air layering just type in air layering and Google and you will see what I’m talking about. Through that season from the branch back by the end of the spring or next spring cut the branch off on the opposite side of where you air layered it and put it in a pot there you have a dwarf pecan tree by the way I’m the run-on sentence King have a good day God bless hope this helps :raised_hands: if you are like a pictures of the process email me or message me here I’ll find a way to get them to you I grow bonsai trees and this is what I do to get an older tree with a thick trunk and then I just print it while it’s creating roots to create the shape of the tree I’m looking for.

Here’s a link to get you started
https://www.bonsaiempire.com/basics/cultivation/advanced/air-layering

Pecan is notoriously difficult to air layer. Also, they don’t usually develop strong root systems when produced by rooting methods. I would not advise layering a tree if it is intended for nut production.

Due diligence is suggested to successfully grow pecans. I live in the deep south where pecan scab is a major problem. My pecan trees are grafted varieties known for high levels of scab resistance. I will be grafting @30 trees next spring to get some trees I planted as seedlings about 15 years ago converted to varieties with better nuts.

sounds like a fun challenge. I always wondered how it would work out to continually prune one to less than 15 feet or so. I could bring my bucket truck and help you prune them LOL.

Like Fruitnut Was saying if they got good growing conditions they can grow fast. I have one that I hung hammock in three years ago the hook was 3 inches out of the tree at the time. You can barely see the end of the hook now it’s grown into the trees