Is this a baby plum tree?

I was working under one of my plum trees and found this plant. Is it a baby plum tree?

1 Like

Looks like it could be.

2 Likes

It’s a wild cherry.

8 Likes

You’re right. I have thousands of those that pop up.

1 Like

Doesn’t look like any plum that grows in my orchard.

1 Like

That’s very cool about the wild cherry, I’ve never seen a wild one in my area before.

The “plum” tree it was found under was supposed to be a Santa Rosa, but I got my first harvest a few days ago, and the plums are very small, about the size of a quarter, and taste more like a cherry than a plum.

They are red fleshed with mottled red and green skin, turning dark burgandy when extremely ripe. Here is a picture of the fruit.

The pit looks more like a cherry pit instead of a plum pit and is about the size of a cherry pit. Do you think this “plum” tree could be a pluerry or some type of plum cherry hybrid, and the seedling could be from it?

From your description,I was going to say,possibly Flavor Supreme Pluot,but the picture doesn’t look like them.
Where did the tree come from and where is your location?bb

It came from Lowes, and I’m in eastern NC zone 7b/8a.

1 Like

How is the texture? Is it soft and watery? Is the skin slightly astringent? I’m thinking Methley if so since that’s a common small plum that ripens pretty early. I don’t grow it but buy it at the farmers market sometimes on a whim.

1 Like

Might be the rootstock that your Santa Rosa was supposed to be grafted to.

1 Like

Yeah it sounds like it could be Methley, and I bought another Methley supposedly with it, so I bet the tags could have been switched. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Does Methley have a small cherry like pit?