Is this a good bug or bad bug?

Please tell me it likes to eat aphids!!!

2 Likes

Adult beetle, I don’t think this one would eat aphids, I will identify further later.

1 Like

Family Cantharidae, Soldier Beetles. The adult beetle or their larvae (grubs) could very well eat aphids.

https://bugguide.net/node/view/118
^ scroll down for foods eaten

Many look-alikes in this family; perhaps yours is in Genus Pacificanthia
https://bugguide.net/node/view/160170/bgimage

3 Likes

:hugs: Thank you so much for finding out!!! That’s great news! :smiley:

1 Like

@LarryGene - Can you help ID one more please… its on my citrus - good bug?

2 Likes

A fat assassin bug?

1 Like

That could be a Green Bush Cricket.If so,here is some information from the University of Florida.bb
GRASSHOPPERS, CRICKETS AND KATYDIDS These insects rarely require chemical control, as they are only a problem sporadically and in specific circumstances. Grass-hoppers, primarily the eastern lubber grasshopper (Romalea microptera), and the American locust (Schistocera americana), can cause serious damage to growth flushes and may also damage fruit, especially in its early stages. The broadwinged katydid (Microcentum rhombifolium), the restless bush cricket (Hapithus agitator) and the jumping bush cricket (Orocharis luteolira) may also attack citrus. However, these insects typi-cally do not spend their entire life cycle on citrus and usually are only a problem if they enter groves in large numbers. Ad-jacent pastures, hay fields, and fallow lands can be significant sources of these insects, as can weedy swales and row middles. For this reason, timely weed control can often avoid a problem. The American locust is migratory and may become gregari-ous, in which case it can cause rapid and severe damage to new growth and young fruit.

2 Likes

Yes, looks exactly like one! Thank you!

Or may be a citrus leaf miner?

1 Like

One more please - this one was behind grape leaves - It was in a very symmetric pattern, I moved it and may have disturbed the pattern…

1 Like

Are they empty and hatched already?Do they look like these up close?bb

2 Likes

Oh no, its empty, looks like they hatched already :frowning:

1 Like

The common term Bush Cricket and the term Katydid are often used for the same insects, but the taxonomy is different. I was not able to find any green bush cricket species in the U.S. at bugguide.com; they are all brown. A Web search for green bush cricket will bring up many of what we call Katydids in this country.

Your live insect pictured above is likely a Katydid nymph; they do eat foliage but unless numerous they are not a garden pest.

It is not a Citrus Leaf Miner; that is a small moth. No relation to the assassin bugs. And the hatched eggs are of some true bug (Hemiptera), not closely related to the Katydids. With that many hatched eggs, there may be some bug nymphs on your plants. The leafminer moth lays eggs singly, not in clusters.

2 Likes

Wow Thank you! Your a Wikipedia on bugs! :slight_smile:

1 Like

One more bug id please - this one is hanging out on my raspberries and grapes

1 Like

A leafhopper…
Maybe Graphocephala atropunctata, but there are thousands of different species of leafhopper.

2 Likes

@So_Cal_Mike - Thank you!

1 Like

Yes, leafhoppers. If numerous, the nymphs (smaller and less colorful) can suck juices from leaves and distort them. Leafhopper nymphs are easy to identify because unlike most other insects, when approached by your finger, they slowly sidle away to the other side of leaf or stem and do not jump or fly. The adults of course will shoot off rapidly.

2 Likes

Thank you @LarryGene. You were right! I did find some Nymphs as well that couldn’t fly!

1 Like

Hijacking this thread, is this a katydid as well? I see it hanging out for days on the red Malaysian guava

1 Like

Can anyone please help ID this bug? Good bug or bad bug? He seems to love one of my rose bushes and has been on the flowers the last 2 days!

Thanks!

1 Like