Is this a nutrient deficiency?

What does this look like, a deficiency perhaps?

1 Like

It appears to be an iron deficiency.

3 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

Greensand fertilizer is a rich source of glauconite, which is high in iron, potassium, and magnesium . These components are all important to good plant health. It also helps loosen soil, improve moisture retention, soften hard water, and increase root growth.

Greensand is one of the components of my custom organic fertilizer mix.

Others… bone meal, blood meal, epsom salt, gypsum… and homemade compost.

3 Likes

Are those blueberries?

My wowza cherry

If it is an iron deficiency, spraying it with a foliar iron spray would prove it. I’m not convinced that is your problem because iron deficiency isn’t very common on plants that don’t require a very acidic soil, like blueberries and pin oaks.

However, it wouldn’t hurt to use your cooperative extension to guide you to a legitimate soil testing lab if your state doesn’t perform such tests itself. If you care enough to submit a photo to this forum, you probably care enough to learn what your soil contains, what its texture is and its drainage qualities in general. If you are really curious, you can also have leaf analysis done, but it’s somewhat more expensive. Soil tests are quite reasonable.

Many seeming nutrient deficiencies are the result of poor drainage.

2 Likes

I noticed that this yellowing started on another tree as well, and I am not sure if this was a coincidence or not but I sprayed immunox before I noticed the yellowing, does that fungicide ever do that? The symptoms on second tree are quite similar, with yellow around the edges and in some cases interveinal chlorosis.

1 Like

Captan, yes, myclo, no- as far as I know, and I’ve a lot of experience with both. Captan-burn is well known but I’ve never read of myclo-burn. But why would you spray a cherry with myclo? It’s not that good for brown rot.

1 Like

@alan

Many spray immunox on cherries since captan can be sprayed a few times a year only. Immunox is then sprayed several times. Most people are fighting leaf spot. Immunox is used in the rainy season since it doesnt wash off.

2 Likes

I’ve never had to deal with leaf spot on cherries, although early defoliation can be a problem- one that I haven’t looked into. I don’t manage a lot of cherry trees because their fruit is so hard to protect from birds and rain splits them more often than not at any site without dawn to dusk sun (even in full sun it is a frequent problem). They are also almost as fragile as apricots in my nursery- I lost half my young trees this season. Apparently it was the result of one cold night in the last week of March- and it wasn’t even that cold- +19F. The problem was probably magnified by soil that was too wet.

1 Like

My persimmon seedlings were looking deficient in something recently… both had leaves that were light green getting close to yellow.

I took off the mulch layer… and added a inch or more of good homemade compost… that i added to some bone meal blood meal gypsum epsom salt and greensand too.

I put the mulch back on and watered them good with some compost tea a couple times.

They are looking much better now.

2 Likes

My leaves looked similar but the suspicious part was the chlorosis for some leaves was strictly around the edge of the leaf.

It looks mostly like magnesium deficiency.
That Greensand Fertilizer mentioned above looks like a pretty good answer for a lot of common problems.

1 Like