Is this a watersprout on my blood orange and how much should I prune it?

I haven’t had a chance to get this baby Moro blood orange in the ground and last fall this large branch with larger leaves and longer thorns took off. I’m fairly certain it’s above the graft (would love confirmation). Reading online is this considered a watersprout? Some advocate pruning them off and others sources said to leave if you want earlier production. Since the plant is so young and still has to get established in the ground should I prune it? I really just need to be talked into it since it’s hard to give up growth! There are also crossing branches so if I don’t prune the watersprout I’d have to take off several smaller branches. Any advice appreciated!

2 Likes

does the tag indicate if it is trifoliate rootstoc?

Unfortunately it doesn’t indicate the rootstock. Durlings is closed today, does it make a difference in whether I should prune it or not?

Nope. The stem would be a little flattened, twist a bit, the internode length much longer, few leaves, and plenty of thorns.

Great, so I can leave it? I believe the graft is the diagonal in the second photo so it just qualifies as above the union. Then I would just prune off some of the smaller crossing branches. Does that sound appropriate?

from what could see it seems to be above graft, but not really sure. Below is a list of rootstoc commonly used.
If the nursery says it is on a multi-lobed foliage rootstoc as citrange/poncirus etc, then both growths are of scionwood. If it is on single-lobed rootstoc as rough lemon, then it may still be a watersprout, especially if it does not produce blooms soon, relative to the other branch/es

http://www.ccnb.info/page.php?s=2&c=7

Yes.

I’d head it back about 1/3 of its height, leaving 2/3 intact.

1 Like

Great, thank you both!