Is this Aronia?

Noticed these berries outside of my office today. Seek app unidentified them as black chokeberry (Aronia). Seems to match pictures found on google imagery.

Can you arona fans confirm?

7 Likes

I think so.

3 Likes

Nice healthy plant

3 Likes

Yes :+1:

3 Likes

What the hell, ill try eating one. If you dont hear from me in the next few hours assume I died from cyanide poisoning. Lol.

4 Likes

Well the ones I grow taste like poison, so don’t think the worst when you take a bite.

4 Likes

Really? I grow nero variety and they are eatable… not my best fruit but they are not bad. They are so healthy that everyone should try it.

3 Likes

They are very very healthy, you will not die! :smiley:

4 Likes

No, but I ate some fruit of a taxus today. (So if you don’t hear from me…)
:slight_smile:

(No, didn’t eat the seeds, just the very tasty flesh.)

Haha. Im fine. They werent that great. Somewhat butter. I spit it out. Stained the sidewalk

1 Like

i haven’t found a recipe with them in it i care for. i guess if you cut them like 20 to 1 with apple they’re pretty good. only berry I’ve eaten strait i can say i dont like. and i like chokecherry and consort b. currant right off the bush. :wink:

That looks like aronia yes, but just a caution that aronia and common/glossy buckthorn (which is mildly poisonous) share a lot of similar traits. Make sure you do your research before eating a wild berry :smiley:

1 Like

I’m still here after eating the berries from Yew. (Taxus).

By the way, MikeB, which buckthorn? We have “Carolina Buckthorn” here…the birds love them, but I’ve not tried eating them. (Said to be a laxative.)

Here is a useful link.
Yes,…May want to use caution !

1 Like

also if you look at the bottom of the fruit, aronia has dimples like a immature apple. european buckthorn is smooth.

3 Likes

These berries had dimples just like a red delicious apple.

3 Likes

aronia. you’re safe.

1 Like

I thought we were discussing Chokeberry …. and not Choke Cherry?

Yes, aronia , chokeberry
The link includes chokecherry , also./ and chokeberry

2 Likes

@speedster1
Since you said you spit it on the side walk ,
I am assuming this was planted in a landscaping situation.
I have found wild aronia on the higher mountains on your end of the state.usually in high altitude bog areas.

1 Like