Is this Fire Blight? Please help me diagnose

can you please list the names of the other asian pears that are nearby with any FB?

1 Like

The only other one with it was Korean giant. It was somewhat distanced from the 4 in 1 however. It had one strike which I cut out vigorously.

These are some trees close by the affected tree and they are fine. Never had a problem.

Chojuro (original tree not a graft) two trees down. Never a problem.

Nikiita (right next to it). No issues

Shinko ok I think I might have taken out a short lateral or two. Young dwarf tree.

Hosui also doing fine. Photo didn’t take. Lots of nice sized fruit coming along. One graft from Drippin Honey dropped a pear. I’m holding it hoping it will somehow ripen in my hand.

Korean Giant. I took out the bottom right branch and did some heavy summer pruning. It was huge and out of control. The pruning was mostly height. Probably 4-5 foot of growth.

Asian pears were my most successful fruit this year. Ironically, these are the first Asian pear fruit I’ve ever had after many, many years.

Grafts I’ve never had a problem with :
Shinseiki , Jillin, Drippin Honey, shinko, Tsu Li. No fruits yet on those grafts except drippin honey which dropped too soon

Sorry for the edits. I got the photos confused and had to redo.

5 Likes

It’s niitaka not nikiita, right?

2 Likes

You know me and spelling Luis. You are right. This is Dave’s info

Niitaka (A) is a beautifully colored brown pear of excellent quality. Round in shape, it is large, sweet, juicy, and firm. It ripens in October and stores exceptionally well.

2 Likes

It wasn’t to correct you… i have this one too. :+1:

2 Likes

No worries either way :mask:

2 Likes

Hello everyone, thank you for your opinions and insights. Sorry for my absence, it’s been a busy few weeks.

An update:
I do not believe it’s FB as it is not progressing. New leaves are having a similar crispy edge but seems to only affect the leaves and does not take over. I believe this is due to heat. I will continue to watch, but based on what many of you have said, I believe if it were FB I’d see more of it all over my tree. That is not the case.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Certainly has the appearance of FB.

1 Like

Fireblight has been bad this year. Strikes like these on every tree for the first time in over 20 years. Thought we were past this type of spreading. Topping trees as needed thankfully i was prepared for this from the last time it happened. Entire trees were killed in a day last time but this time im much better prepared. Lost one entire tree this year to the ground. My trees are on resistant rootstocks that can prevent losing entire trees.

Look closely and unless your like me and doing some experimenting dont plant susceptible trees unless your prepared for this. This is green jade on ohxf rootstock. Ohxf rootstocks dont die that easy do you see the new shoots coming up? If this was grafted on bartlett it would be dead. The rootstock will need grafted in a couple of years.

4 Likes

@alan @clarkinks both of you may be right. I’m to new to really know. I dont see it progressing like others say FB does. I assume in the month since I first posted I would see a whole leaf dead from it, but I don’t. That’s really the driving factor for why I think it’s not.

2 Likes

Reading this thread makes me think the occasional browning partial leaf on a few of my trees might not be fire blight.

This photo is a shot today of an OHxF 87 rootstock I grew out this summer.

If this is a symptom tjs can be seen from heat stress I’d say that might fit this summer for me.

Actually I have a smaller OHxF 87 rootstock that I moved over a few feet while weeding the area… All of the minimal leaves turned black within a few days and dropped. The tree sprouted new healthy leaves after.

I think the blackened leaves was from stress from relocation and not the same as the photo.

t

1 Like

Now I’m also wondering if this is fireblight? The tree came pruned like this.

2 Likes

Like the thread says… having trouble diagnosing this. branch will be cut regardless but I havent yet seen fireblight with my own eyes so I am bad at ID. Bartlett Pear by the way… does not bode well i dont think

Zone 5 NY- Hudson Valley/Capital Region/Berkshires for any of you regional folks with valuable experience.

2 Likes

I’d help you out if I could. Maybe fb is a taboo subject around here :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

2 Likes

@Plants that looks like it could be FB, assuming that is a pear tree. Does kind of look like the nursery tried to prune out the FB. Is there some golden ooze in the AM?

2 Likes

@svr68 that doesn’t really look like FB to me. Did a buck decide to use that tree as a rub?

3 Likes

@svr68 ,

I had a sort of leaf spot that looked like that on a moonglow and a Shenandoah. It was not fireblight and the trees grew out of it.

2 Likes

Thanks @barry @JerrytheDragon. This actually happened over the summer on a transplanted container tree from TSC. The bark cracked and dried like you can see in the picture. Looked like some disease for sure at the time but seems to have recovered a bit leaving this patch of bark

Since its not fireblight, I will probably just prune this branch but keep the rest of the tree. Good news.

3 Likes

Thanks Barry. Yeah I emailed those pics to the nursery and they said not to over think it. Just cut off dead branches each year. I forgot my glasses when I went that day and it’s not as visible unless it’s wet. And it rained that day I took the pics. Also I had brought some alcohol for trimming other branches for grafts but he said it wasn’t necessary. I normally clean my cutters when I cut different plants/trees. But that’s just me and I’m no pro.
I don’t see any golden ooze. Now I’m wondering if I should cut everything off that’s black now or just spray copper and let it go?