Is this leafhopper or thrip damage?

If leafhopper (older nymphs or adults), a shake of the plant or affected branch will result in their characteristic flying off the plant at high speed, the motion is different than other insects.

1 Like

I did that but nothing came off, I guess they were long gone, I peeled I few leaves with the damage to investigate better, came off with some of the soft tissue on the branch, some “sap” is exposed would they come back, or be attracted

I think the leaf looks good, tho. I don’t worry about insect damage to leaves until they look way uglier than that, lol. I practically live in the woods, tho, and we have a lot of minor bugs doing their thing. I don’t like to spray insecticide if I can help it.

Like now with the Japanese beetles starting. Once they start eating my fruit, it’s game over for them :wink: (Actually I might even try to bait and trap those this year.)

2 Likes

Yeah, this shouldn’t be on my worries, but seen this on other trees, wanted to check it out more in detail under balanced lighting. I got a really bad problem with aphids on another tree, sprayed neem, baking soda, nothing worked, now I watch my tree suffer, I even tried washing them off, they keep coming back

1 Like

I wonder if powdered sulfur would work on aphids? If I ever get spider mites, it works like a charm. Yeah, some of the minor insects need smothering if their population gets too high on a tree or two, for sure.

Back on the rose forum of GW, folks used to say flour worked for aphids? I never had to try it, because ladybugs and their larvae love my roses and they love to eat aphids :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Do I mix the flour with water?

No, they sprinkled it on from a powdered sugar shaker or similar. It seems like it would get gluey, but I guess you wash it off well after it’s smothered the aphids.

1 Like

Once leafhopper nymphs are on a plant, as long as there is tender growth, they stay put.
Typical leafhopper population where damage is readily seen is dozens or hundreds.

1 Like

alright ill be on the lookout