Is this peach tree beyond help?

We moved to an old farm and this peach tree is still producing fruit but has been completely neglected for many, many years. House was built in 1952 so who knows how old this is. (There are also huge old apples trees on the property but that is for another time) The fruit/tree has not been treated in any way and the fruit normally is not edible simply because of disease/pests. The few that are not diseased are delicious. Should we just cut it down or is there any way to start encouraging better growth habit for the future? Thanks!

Your peach trees has more healthy leaves than my spoiled, pampered peach trees. If I were you, I’d keep it for now. Learn how to care for peach trees from this forum. Improve its growing condition and help protect it from further damage by diseases and bugs.

You also can plant a few new peach trees while keeping this one. Peach trees grow very fast. You could get fruit by the 3rd year of planting.

Where do you live? Peach trees don’t live long but yours looks like it has outlived its contemporary. Why not keep it going the best you can?

4 Likes

Thanks for your reply! I live in the Page Valley, in Virginia. I am glad to hear that putting effort into it’s growing conditions. We rent this farm and while we are here, I don’t mind tending to this peach tree so I will definitely read up on what to do, starting in the fall. I still have the former owners contact info and this is where he grew up so I think I’ll reach out to see just how old this tree is…I’m kinda curious. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

… in your climate and ecosystem. There are 120+ year-old peach trees in my home town of Redlands CA, plus others I’ve seen in state parks (most recently in UT) nearing the 150 year mark.

1 Like

Haha, mine made it 8 years before it kicked the bucket.

3 Likes

Is there a thread on this forum that has basic peach tree care like when to fertilize, etc? I have used the search function and am not finding anything basic. Thanks!

It varies widely by climate. Try asking your question in one of the regional chats:

1 Like

Mine went south in 10 years. Another will be gone this fall after 10 years as well.

Richard - I am aware of some peach trees in the US that have lived long. Many more don’t esp. in the east.

2 Likes

In the spring if you think it is not vigorous enough.

1 Like

Thank you!!

So, I heard back from the son of the original owners and this tree is 40+ years old. Thanks for everyone’s comments. I’m going to go and look over the info in the Regional Chats.

Did he know the type of peach it is?

Unfortunately, no. I have fertilized it this spring and sprayed with whey 2 days before a rain just to see if it helps in any way. I guess we’ll see! We had a hard freeze when it was fully in bloom that killed most of the blooms. The remaining 10% of the blooms opened a few days later so we may not have much at all due to that.

1 Like

That sucks but maybe you’ll get a few peaches.