Is this persimmon Izu?

I haven’t found many good pictures of Izu persimmon, and often nurseries substitute whatever picture is handy it seems.

These are the first fruit on my Izu tree. The have distinct lobes and ribbing, whereas from the few pictures I can find, I’d expected it to be rounder and smoother.

Does anybody have Izu and care to comment if these developing persimmons look consistent with the cultivar?

5 Likes

Here is a picture of an Izu I ate in Japan. The culture there is obsessed with perfect fruit though. It could have been one of the rounder ones out there and not necessarily representative of the cultivar.

Where did you buy your tree? I have one that’s 6 feet tall now and hoping it’ll fruit next year.

3 Likes

That picture looks like what I kind of expected from searching the web. That looks huge though. Was it like $10?

My Izu is from Burnt Ridge Nursery. I consider them reputable, aside from the fact that they currently have the same picture for Hana Fuyu and Matsumoto Wase Fuyu. I wish nurseries would at least indicate when they are using a stock picture vs. the cultivar in question.

My hands aren’t very big so the size is probably not what you are expecting. It was however a decently sized persimmon, definitely bigger than average. It wasn’t “perfect” and was about $5 from memory. Buying it at an upscale mall in Ginza probably didn’t help with the price.

I bought my tree from here 2 full years ago.

The fruit pictured looks similar in shape to yours. One thing I noticed about my tree is it’s a slower grower than most of my other Asian persimmons.

1 Like

Izu is supposed to be naturally dwarfing. Mine is one of my more vigorous ones though. It is well mulched and watered relative to others perhaps.

That picture does look more like mine. Hopefully it is actually of Izu.

2 Likes

I used to grow Izu. It was a very round fruit and seldom had indentations. The first photos above do not look like a typical Izu fruit.

Burnt Ridge is reputable but they make mistakes like everyone else.

Here’s a page that has photos of Izu and others. The photos above do not look like Izu. They look most like Sheng.

https://www.growables.org/information/TropicalFruit/persimmonvarieties.htm

5 Likes

It also looks like this picture if Ichi Ki Kei Jiro:

BTW, this place sold me a “Saijo” that wasn’t even a kaki, so don’t consider the link and endorsement. As far as I can tell, they ignored my follow-up email that came probably a year or two after purchase.

Hopefully, you can tell what it is based off of the ripening time, and astringency or lack thereof. Izu is supposed to ripen very early in the season for a kaki.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s why I chose Izu :slight_smile:

Nice to have this thread…I planted Izu this year and there isn’t much info on it. I’ll let you know how mine looks in a couple of years…haha

1 Like

I had an Izu several years ago and had the same questions: shape just like in your photo (if not even slightly more lobed looking) and vigorous growth had me questioning whether my tree had been correctly identified. The only fruit I ever had aborted early, fair sized already but nowhere near ripening, so I took a little taste to see if it was astringent, and it definitely was, but maybe even non-astringents are astringent at that stage – does anyone know? I guess I could find out with one of my other trees easily enough, although it might be too late for this year. I then lost my Izu to a driver’s ed accident, so I never got any fruit from it. Mine came from a different nursery, though, one that I’ve ordered a lot of trees from and which have almost all been true to variety.

1 Like

Not the most common cause for loosing fruit trees. My son is doing his driver’s ed now, thanks for your heads up! I’ll keep him away from my trees :blush:

4 Likes

I think I will be happy with mine as long as the fruit ripens early and has good texture. I picked Izu, because the texture isn’t so hard like other non-astringents like Jiro when I sampled it at a similar stage of ripeness. Matsumoto Wase Fuyu is another early ripening one with a similar texture.

Hopefully, this isn’t a case where nurseries label whatever early ripening non-astringent as “Izu” like how many “Fuyu” out there aren’t truly Fuyu. A real Fuyu is much better than what comes out of California.

1 Like

Yeah, hopefully this thing ripens at a reasonable time and is non-astringent.

I have 1 Coffeecake persimmon developing on a different tree and it looks very similar although a little smaller. I also have Fuyugaki from the same place that gave me a mis-labeled Saijo. It isn’t fruiting yet, but pictures of Fuyugaki have the lobes.

I have a Chocolate persimmon with 2 acorn shaped fruits developing, but mostly had male flowers, so I’m expecting seeds in all of the kaki.

1 Like

A true Fuyu should not be lobed at all. It should be very round.
Here are some pictures comparing non-astringent persimmons I found online.
image image
In the above photos from left to right are Fuyu, Jiro, and Hana Gosho.
image image image
In this set of photos above are Jiro, Hana Gosho, and Fuyu from left to right.

4 Likes

@murky Let us know if your questionable-Izu fruit becomes more round as it ripens.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m curious if it will. They are still pretty small, the picture doesn’t show scale. But the ribbing is also pronounced, its hard to picture it going away. We’ll see.

1 Like

To follow up. I sent the pictures to Burnt Ridge and told them the consensus is that its not Izu. They no longer offer Izu so I included a list of things on their website I’d accept as recompense for that tree I purchased 7 years ago.

That was over the weekend. Monday I got a polite reply. They said it was a Dave W. Wilson grown and labelled tree.

They offered to send me some of what I suggested, and I also got an order confirmation for the complimentary items - a gallon potted fig tree and some scions. Looks like they are covering shipping.

Overall I consider that great customer service.

3 Likes

Update, 11/7, getting close to ripe, I picked one today:

3 Likes

This looks very much like Jiro or some Jiro sport if its non-astringent.