Is this scab?

Harvested my Kennebec potatoes today. Plants were 80% dead. Unfortunately, the center of the hill rotted, which seems to be where water collects.

I still got a halfway decent harvest, except for the five that I chopped in half with the shovel.

However, it looks like I may have some scab, what do you think?

1 Like

15.9 lbs AFTER losses. Not bad for one pound of seed potatoes.

1 Like

Man you’re growing food like a champ this year, Bryan. Maybe you always have and I just didn’t know the inner grower in you. As you know I’ve always associated you with growing incredibly large trees from seed in a short period.

Dax

2 Likes

Looks like some natural texture in the skin, not scab, which in potatoes as in apples I believe to be darker and more intrusive to the integrity of the skin.

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/factsheets/Potato_Scab.htm

1 Like

I’m newer to fruits and vegetables, only have been doing it since last year, previously helped my dad as a kid in the 80s and 90s.

2 Likes

10 from 1 is considered a good yield

Those taters look just fine, I think that’s just a bit of russeting

2 Likes

So I did not scrub them, but I did hose them off with a gentle shower and let them sun-dry for a couple hours.

Enough of the dirt came off that I’m not tracking dirt all over the house trying to store them.

I harvested a few Kennebecs two days ago. They looked identical to yours. I don’t think it’s scab.

1 Like