ISO Golden or Yellow Raspberries for Breeding

Hi All,
ISO / looking for tips on where to look for a few specific yellow / golden raspberry varieties that no longer seem to be available in the US market. Details a couple lines down:

If anyone’s willing to share / swap vs directing me to a “for sale” website I’d be up for that too (as long as the varieties don’t run a foul of the group’s rules).

So far I already have:
‘Fall Gold’, ‘Anne’, Double Gold, Cascade Gold, and Honey Queen

The one’s I’d like to try and find are:
‘Goldie’, ‘Kiwigold’, ‘Golden Harvest’’

So far I’ve reached out to our local University extension office and the USDA Germplasam Bank.

Alternatively, and this is the most intriguing part, sometimes wild yellow raspberries can be found as natural mutations of “black cap” raspberries. If you happen to know if any wild ones or happen to have access to them I’d love to propagate them and use them for seed/breeding. Ideally I’m trying to get a yellow raspberry with some tannic flavors in the mix.

Thanks all!

3 Likes

Not only yellow caps brown, and red caps too. I have a brown cap I have grown in a container for 9 years. Comes from Ontario. It is wild plant. Never shows any sign of disease or virus infection. I have seed from yellow and red caps but that is not for trade. You can see photos of the brown cap here

https://growingfruit.org/t/black-raspberries-in-october

So I have a number of blacks in the yard and Mother Nature seeing my crosses did its own and I have a purple cap and to boot its primocane fruiting

Yesterday I planted a tip root to this one hoping for a backup. Original came up in a pot next to a black currant. Looks fine, third leaf this year. What’s interesting is most purple raspberries and this is a purple Niwot x unknown red or yellow. Or Lynn’s or Sterling black x unknown Rubus idaeus. Most are described as having a bland flavor. These purples taste like boysenberries. Except they are much sweeter, in other words excellent flavor!!

I could see if the yellow tip rooted in a surrounding pot or dig one of the crowns out. I need to restart one in a new fabric container. This one has been in there 9 years or so. Here it is right now. Dark canes are dead canes from last year. Canes are yellow to green. You can see it’s prolific even after nine years.

5 Likes

Drew those brown (yellow?) caps are neat. They look quite a bit like the cultivated yellows, that’s for sure! Any chance you’d have a spare yellow plant to trade?

Yeah the pot has a few crowns in it. Some smaller ones would be easy to pull out. So yes if you want one sure.
I call them brown caps because they are brown when ripe. Tyler who collected plant said yellows are growing too. It’s a cool plant. One day I’m going to breed a primocane version. I’m 16 miles from the Detroit Windsor border so environment is the same.

1 Like

Found a yellow black raspberry patch on the farm this past year….unfortunately it was bushhogged by mistake…. Hoping to see new growth from the roots this year. Its pretty cool how the canes are yellow too, might make a good indicator for your breeding project.

1 Like

6 Likes

We have neartly black Raspberries here. And they are very healthy. In June I put the ends of the long shots in the gardensoil. After3-4 weeks they have roots and I new plants. The darker the better the fruits.

Hi,

I compiled a list of 30 or so yellow/odd colored raspberries/black rasps that I found on the USDA GRIN website. About half are seeds collected in the wild, but some named cultivars including the one on your list, as well as an European one ‘Yellow Antwerp’. There’s one called ‘Goldenwest’ that was donated by Driscoll. Also a couple developed at OSU, and a few Occidentalis that are yellow with one or two reported as Primocane bearing. Sorry for the text wall, but pretty easy to paste into their search box:

PI 553453
PI 553457
PI 553495
PI 553569
PI 553585
PI 553586
PI 553594
PI 553595
PI 553596
PI 553600
PI 553602
PI 553683
PI 553685
PI 553949
PI 553950
PI 604623
PI 618351
PI 618352
PI 618427
PI 618455
PI 618541
PI 618560
PI 652968
PI 657878
PI 672596
PI 672599
PI 672645
PI 672661
PI 672663
PI 672665

Hi Tim,
Those certainly look like yellow caps, or yellow / golden raspberries. Is that a current photo? They already have fruit on them?

1 Like

Hi nomdeplume
First time I’ve looked through the USDA GRIN website. I was able to find “Golden Harvest” quite easily, but the others you mentioned didn’t show until I looked up their individual PI numbers.

How did you go about querying to find your list of 30?

Also, have you ever requested Germplasam from them?

One update in general:

Anne, Honey Queen, Fall Gold, Cascade Gold and Double Gold have all been found in/on USA nursery websites. Kiwigold or Kiwi Gold wasn’t found until tonight, and it was an old Home Depot record, so we’ll see if that one shows up in the mail.

Still looking for a US source of Golden Antwerp, Graton Gold (aka Goldie), Golden Harvest, Golden Queen, Cox’s Honey, Fertodi Aranyfurt (Fertődi aranyfürt), Golden Nugget, Goldenwest, Two-timer Sugana, Alpen Gold (Alpengold), Golden Bliss, and Valentina.

Yes, their website is a bit clunky, but I found it easiest to search for all of their ‘rubus’ specimens and generate an excel spreadsheet. It does include a bit of notes, so pretty easy to parse.

That is a nice looking yellow! Good job!

1 Like

Nomdeplume,

Is that a “yes” in regards to, you’ve requested germplasm before?

If you find that please let me know. I have been looking for that one. That also is the common name to a ground cover rubus plant too. I gave up and started breeding an orange. All I got is pink. But it does change orange then pink. Looks like Double Gold. I call it Irene. You can tell Irene from Double Gold because the fall crop doesn’t ripen till November. I only get the lead berry. Summer crop is good. All I really get.

Roger Ort has some of those and probably some not listed…you will have to contact him to see.

disctw can probably get the Golden Nugget from the guy in PA…i asked him after he contacted me asking about them then he ghosted me so maybe you will have better luck.

You didnt mention Golden Everest i dont think… not sure about it or if its a rename of something we have…i havent researched it much.

I can probably get this from one of my overseas friends if its worth fooling with.

The photo was from last year, but the patch was mowed down. I’ll check it out here soon, to see if they resprouted. They tasted good but different from typical blackraspberries.

One more update:

Found a seller with “hairy yellow raspberries” and ordered a set of 3. They arrived bare root and in good condition. They weren’t sure what type / variety they were and just stated that they seem to do well each year.

Ideally I’ll be able to compare these to any of the named varieties over the course of the next year.

The seller is right that the thorns are somewhat a mix of hard thorns and stem “hairs”. Not exactly thornless, but something in between. I’ll upload a picture later tonight.

As for KiwiGold (or Kiwi Gold), the plant that arrived from Home Depot, produced by Daylilly Farms, might be a dud. It was very dry and hot when I opened the box. Since then I’ve had to trim all the leaves and hope for the stem to make at least one new leaf bud. We’ll see…

(KiwiGold Photo Included in this Post)

Try backcrossing Irene with one of the parents or Double Gold? Maybe push the color variation where you want or get a better pink berry?

1 Like

Yes I agree I never thought about Double Gold but yeah why not!