Ison's 15-1-1 Muscadine

Anyone order one or know where to find more information on it? I decided to snag one up along with a Lane to see if I can successfully grow muscadines here.

https://www.isons.com/shop/muscadines/new-15-1-1-muscadine-black-female/

My soil is mostly clay that is slightly alkaline. Anyone in this same situation? What do y’all recommend amending the holes with?

I got a plant pre-release in 2008. It is currently a huge vine that produces a crop yearly. It is selected for ability to mature a late crop 2 to 4 weeks after most other varieties. Eating quality is similar to Jumbo, in other words, thick skin and not very sweet.

The vines load up very heavily which brings a few problems. They must be pruned back further than normal to limit the crop. If not pruned heavily, the overload can leave the vine sensitive to cold in winter. If not fertilized heavily, the vine will struggle to ripen fruit before frost. I put a wheelbarrow of dried chicken manure around my plant this past spring. The result was a good crop of fruit that matured after most of my other varieties.

2 Likes

Thanks @Fusion_power. I’m hoping this one ends up just as described. I’m planting them in a combination of sphagnum, compost, and my native soil. I will also toss down a decent amount of Milorganite for fertlizer.

Anyone know if 15-1-1 is an in house creation of Ison’s or a development from one of the universities?

Unfortunately 15-1-1 arrived broken pretty low when it arrived today, so it will be a bit longer until I get to try the fruit. Lane seems fine though along with the Compact Stella cherry that just went into the ground.

2 Likes

Use the Ison’s fertilization program and that 15-1-1 will grow like crazy and give you some fruit next year.

2 Likes

I never let a muscadine produce fruit the first or second year. I expect two runners each 16 feet long by the end of the second year. The third year should get a crop of 30 to 70 pounds of fruit.

2 Likes

I don’t know anything about the 15-1-1, but Lane is excellent. Extremely precocious and the fruits are very sweet. My favorite of the various muscadines that I grow.

2 Likes

Do you think the lack of sweetness is due to climate? Ison’s advertises 21% sugar, which is very much on the sweet end of things.

At the peak, it can run close to that in my yard in NorthWest Alabama. I have a slightly different opinion after this year. I pruned heavily in early spring and fertilized heavily twice during the growing season. The result was better grapes and definitely extended the season by about 3 weeks for me. I don’t recommend it as a main season variety, but it has a place if you want to have grapes to eat after the others are gone.

2 Likes

This sounds like a very late variety. Do you think 15-1-1 is later than Black Beauty, Late Fry or Pam? I am asking because I want to get it but Black Beauty is the latest for me. Some year Pam and Late Fry doesn’t even ripe for me. I am getting replacing Pam and moving Late Fry out.

1 Like

Darrel would definitely be the one to know. It stinks that the skin is thick; although, most people don’t eat the skin. I wonder if it would make a good wine or juice? I don’t drink alcohol, but I would probably make an exception if it was my own homemade muscadine wine.

It is 3 weeks later maturity than Black Beauty and 2 weeks later than Late Fry. If you are already having trouble with Late Fry, you will have more with 15-1-1.

1 Like

Hall is a new variety that ripens early if your looking for a bronze variety. My Hall was just planted about a month ago so I cant offer any first hand knowledge about its quality.

I was just looking on the Isons website and apparently they are sold out. The 15-1-1 looks like it has a lot to offer. I guess none of this matters if you don’t have enough time for it to ripen.

1 Like