It’s citrus time for me

Gotta love that idea. I bought several metal wheeled platforms and the wheel, of course, rusted over the course of the summer. You just helped me make an important decision about how to make my own. Thanks!

1 Like

Hey, Bob, what are the dimensions of the Dolly you built? I’m building one to roll my citrus out in the next few days.

1 Like

Check that, Bob. I just looked again and it looks like about 22-24” square. Thanks for the photos and the inspiration.

1 Like

If you use 15 gl containers, 20” is sufficient, 22” for larger ones. I only buy wheels when they are on sale. Paid the same price for the bigger ones than the smaller ones. I use larger bolts because the holes are kind of big.
H/F has a sale going, check it out. You really don’t need that drag rod, for me I need that drag rod, uneven and rocky garden. Good luck.

3 Likes

My neighbors watching me building dollies. They seams to enjoy my work.

9 Likes

Bob, where do you buy your Gro Pro planting containers? I am especially interested in the ones with rope handles but will go with the lip to lift them if that’s all that is available.

Charlie

1 Like

I buy mine at my local Hydroponic store. Amazon sells them too. These containers are ideal for me but can’t find them , zen hydroponic has them in there catalog but they are always out of stock.

2 Likes

Would you mind sharing what your soil make up is for potted citrus? Do you use coconut coir in the mix?

1 Like

This is always one of the hardest answer to come up with. There are so many different ways to answer. There are a hundred ways to do it and than there is mine. Is mine the best? My trees like it the way I treat them.
40% Turface, 40% Lambert Peatmoss, 20% Perlite. To finish, about 2” of Hapi Gro organic compost, this has a lot of small pinebark in it.
The rest is fertilizer, major and minors, calcitic limestone and dolomitic lime(calcium and magnesium).
This mix will be good for at least 3years.
Important note: I kept about 150 gl of rainwater for the winter months that I mix with wellwater to get the 6 ph reading. Rainwater is usely 5,5.

5 Likes

So is turface that granular rocky material that improves drainage? Would it be similar to something like medium size chicken grit?

You are the guy in the Ozark right?

1 Like

Turface holds moisture.North West Arkansas , Beaver Lake.

1 Like

A soil component that holds moisture is not something I’ve often heard recommended for citrus. Typically the suggestion is to encourage better drainage. But you certainly can’t argue with your results.

Turface holds a lot of water but also provides good aeration. That’s because it’s granular with big air spaces between particles. It doesn’t pack down and doesn’t break down. I’ve never used it, but it’s often recommended. It’s a fired clay full of pore spaces that hold water.

3 Likes

That makes sense. That’s the same reason I use the chicken grit, aeration.

1 Like

When using a lot of Peatmoss in citrus you have to make sure “ don’t let it dry out”. I cannot be more clear. Turface will help keeping peat moist, but not for long.

1 Like

Finally finished, have plenty now (50).

4 Likes