It’s citrus time for me

You got to have patience to grow these things, my last endeavor before folding up? All the things I have read,fertilizers to expansive, wheather related problems, too expensive to grow stuff. What’s next.

19 Likes

nice collection. i have 4 in my south facing windows. just picked my 1st satsuma.

4 Likes

That’s beautiful dedication Bob!
Here is a picture of my Dad’s Meyer lemon tree he brought into the garage for winter.

I gifted it to him several years ago it was a tiny twig in an 2inch pot. He loves that tree.

17 Likes

Maybe it was a bit of a Cro -Magnon approach. But an old citrus worker taught me how to graft citrus with electrical tape, plastic wrap, white glue or candle wax on the cheap. Granted, not pretty. But it worked.

3 Likes

What is the variety? Its beautiful!

2 Likes

Nice trees. I have 5 outside in ground and 3 potted behind glass and 6 in side under lights. They are a pain in the as.

1 Like

Meyer lemon

4 Likes

What fertilizer do you use?

2 Likes

@Phill_Boise_7a

4 Likes

Jacks 25-5-15

1 Like

Go along with Steve, but it’s more than that. For me it’s always been a challenge. Why ? Growing citrus in my zone is not easy .
I have 26 trees growing in containers, a bunch of different varieties that ripen at different times, that’s what start the problem. You don’t fertilize them the same time. After picking time, they need a rest period. Some ripened as late as April.
So, too many veriaties? Problems!! How do you cope with that? Just do the best you can, might take some time to get decent about my situation.
Growing one variety like Meyer lemon is easy, only need one fertilizer because they rebloom several times during the season. They’re heavy feeders more so than the others .
My arsenal of fertilizers are different!!

5 Likes

9 in the ground. Cold got two last year. Most are satsuma. We’ve had two fruit so far. Oldest is four years old this winter.

4 Likes

Been picking some, some are very big some not so. Got to love them!

14 Likes

I’ve been trying some from the store,but they are usually a light green.Is it because of picking too soon? The flavor is okay sometimes.

1 Like

Way way too soon !

2 Likes

Yes! The Meyer needs to be golden yellow before it picks and the tipoff is the ease with which they come off the branch. If you have to twist and pull it’s too early, right? Are you fertilizing during the fall and winter over there? I am in Nashville and have three Meyers, two Persian limes, two Key Limes, and a red grapefruit all in containers and under the lights in my basement/garage. My challenges have been low humidity (with leaf drop) and insects. I solved the mealy bug and scale problems largely with regular neem oil soil soaks. It takes time but it works well. The humidity needs to be in a sweet spot around 50-56% (monitored by hygrometer). I have not fertilized yet this year. I’ve been doing a lot of reading on that subject and the UT Extension service believes it is best to avoid fertilizing in the winter. The photo included is from the winter of 2022-23. The cultivars this year are twice the size of those in the photo.

5 Likes

Sharbecr’

You have a truly bright idea for growing your gorgeous trees inside.

1 Like

Had to make 3 more dolly’s, using casters from H/F. I like the wide wheels better, if you pull your trees in the garden area’s. They don’t sink deep like the narrow wheels. No punny wheels!! Use 1/6 used decking boards.

6 Likes

Bob,
Is that green pot a typical container for your citrus trees

1 Like

No! I try to buy Gropro containers, 15 gl H/D. I also buy containers from AMLEONARD, HAVILAND CONtainers, 15 gl, a bit flimsy but they holdup pretty good, cheap but you have buy 10 pieces.
For moving containers a lot, Gropro containers has large lips for easy handeling. Large square drain holes on the sides ,especially good for figs.

4 Likes