It's CHE Time

Been eating some of these for a week or so. Probably will pick a good bunch tomorrow. They are supposed to make good preserves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-gbLraM93E

5 Likes

Is that the Norris variety?

I had been waiting til the fruit color darkened and the fruit had gotten larger (though I did try a couple and some had a latex-like taste, so I’m assuming not fully ripe). All the fruit remaining, about a dozen disappeared last Thursday, though.

My Che doesn’t seem to fruit in bunches, but singly or in pairs…

Scott

I grafted mine from UC Davis USDA Scion wood. It’s a seedless and they
listed Micheal McConkey as in Edible Landscaping in the accession
listing as Donor so I assume mine is the same as they sell. There is no
other CHE except the ones I have for miles I am sure so it’s for sure
self fruitful, some need pollinated and set seeds, but there has been
discussion that all are self fruitful to a degree or more so as they
mature.
Unless you wait until they are really ripe and start to
soften they are very bland and the latex is irritating. Once they soften
like figs the latex is gone and it’s pretty just sweet . Some
folks don’t care for them and many I think because they color up well
prior to being ripe and eat to early. Like I said not my favorite fruit
but pretty carefree, and so far neither birds or squirrels bother them.

1 Like

In my experience that cultivar is seedless and self-fruitful when grafted on seedlings of Zhe (Maclura tricuspidata). The fruit matures more rapidly in climates with longer summers than yours but your humidity is in the home range. I really enjoy the flavor of that cultivar … something akin to golfball size raspberries.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried the Darrow cultivar? Most people only have tried Norris but Just Fruit and Exotics seem to describe this one as having a different flavor, and also self-pollinating.

Are you going to let it grow full size or prune the top to keep it more shrubby?

If you are asking me I prune off the leaders each winter as I want the fruit in reach, but I might have to be more agressive

1 Like