Ivans belle

just ordered and received ivans belle from one green world. supposedly a Russian cross of mountain ash and hawthorn. heard good things about the fruit. anyone grow this on here? plan to graft a few shipova pear on it also. got a nice 5ft. sturdy bareroot tree.

2 Likes

its put on about 2ft of growth. maybe some berries next year.

3 Likes

I’ve never heard of those. Keep us posted on the fruit. Been staring at the true sorbus trees myself. Fruit is supposed to be like medlar.

1 Like

one green world sells them and other crosses from Russia.

I collect all those unknown fruits like medlar, gooseberry, ect. Was going to try the Shipova, but people were saying they take forever to fruit.

i guess the baby shipova fruits alot quicker and is a smaller tree.

If I’m not mistaken, some people were saying the baby and regular have different taste. Like they weren’t the same thing, but it’s hard to know since so few people grow it.

i plant to graft shipova onto this tree from scions from fruitwood nursery next spring. i have a 7ft mtn. ash i grafted 6 varieties of pears onto that’s doing very well. hopefully fruits soon.

1 Like

Yes my Shipova took about 8 years to fruit. They also have a tendency to be shy bearers in alternate years.
The brix in my corner of ‘low heat’ PNW is 15. - which is very good for me. A sweet perfumy taste that is unique for pears. But due to long wait and lack of prolific production, maybe not the best bet for an orchard with limited space.
IMG_1069

4 Likes

Was it acquired as scionwood, seedling, grafted sapling, or?

Grafted 3-4’ tree from Raintree.

2 Likes

@cdamarjian Is pear the primary taste? Looks good in the pic.

1 Like

More like juicy aromatic asian pear with soft instead of crunchy interior. The aromatic flesh is what is unlike euro pear.

1 Like

OGW has 3 hybrids which can be wait-listed for bareroot season. They state that at maturity the standard Shipova is a 15’ tree with fruit the size of a large apricot, while the Baby (Dwarf) Shipova is an 8’ tree with similar fruit.

https://onegreenworld.com/?s=Shipova

1 Like

Size of a large apricot doesn’t sound like my Shipova(!), although 15’ sounds right.
IMG_1070
If anyone would like a scion of this Shipova, let me know in Jan-Feb.

3 Likes

Do you have any trees or shrubs on your property affected by fireblight, and if so how has the Shipova faired?

Plenty of other fungal problems around here… but no fireblight.

2 Likes