Jaboticaba turning black

Every 4 weeks or so Jaboticaba,s turning black. A very unique tree. This thing won’t quit, worth growing?
Sure! Eat a couple handfuls a day.

My wife asked me what I am going to do with those half dozen paw paw,s from last year in the fridge?
Forgot about the them. Eat one of them after thawed out. Still light yellow inside, tasted pretty good.

7 Likes

Looks fantastic! How old is the tree? Do you know the variety?

It’s a Red Jaboticaba, the advise given to me by the grower, it’s the best for my zone 7. It’s grafted, 2012.Might be of by a year, has produced for several years.

1 Like

Really productive! Do you fertilize? I have two red jabos that give me a couple offruit a year. I need to follow your regimen. Thanks, Dan

This is one tree that likes organics, it also like acidic (rainwater) water, and foremost Espoma holly tone.
You can’t overwater. It doesn’t like hot full sun, more or less an understory tree, something like a paw paw. Good luck. Keep long branches clean, Foilage only at the end .

1 Like

I’m assuming you bring it inside for the winter in your zone, right?

Yes, they don’t like anything below 45 but can handle near freezing. I bring it in because it still has fruit on.

A greenhouse or your own house? Because they don’t drop their leaves in the winter, so they do need light.

My converted workshop, has 12 led shop lights

3 Likes

I will follow your advise. I didn’t think about clearing the branches of leaves near the trunk, but that makes sense. I’ll pick up some holly tone as well. Thanks!