Jan, Joel, Joy Dr. Meader cherries

i was wondering if these would be worth planting. how are they compared to the U. of SK cherries for production , taste and disease issues?

2 Likes

@steveb4
In Kansas disease issues are less on meader cherries than any other. They have never been sprayed or need to be. Meader are less hardy overall than juliet, carmine jewell , or romeo. The meader grow at 5% the rate of carmine jewell they are a true dwarf. Production is minimal and small on meaders. The sun in Kansas is a little to much for meader. The fruit on meader is very small. They are only for someone needing a true dwarf. Cherries are dime sized but ripen now in the middle of July. So a cherry lover might think why not just have both since carmine jule ripens early june , my juliet was just picked a week ago so now joel ripens. It’s a nice long season that way.

3 Likes

I considered a hedge of meadre cherries. Would that work?

1 Like

Yes but they are very small bushes.

Received approval from the daughter and permission from the wife to expand this from just a Jan and Joel to a hedge. I will be looking for a Joy and Nanking red and whites in the fall. My original plan was the replace the Azaleas and fill in the gaps with Honey berries but they have been exceptionally slow to come into there own.

I have not quite given up on honey berries I will be buying some of the larger plants from honeyberryUSA in the fall also.

3 Likes

I had a red Nanking. It’s still technically alive but has struggled for years. I’m going to rip it out and replace with a honeyberry.

White Nanking- seems edible landscaping is your only option there. Mine died this year. I am giving up on Nanking as a viable option for Alaska (even though you see it come up time and time again as a great Alaskan plant).

I purchased a red and white for my mother last year from edible landscaping. She is in zone 8 or 9. The nankings did not set fruit this year, but they are about 3x in size and are now taller than her. They a little over 6 feet tall now. Both the red and white are doing incredible. It takes me about 3 summers to match the growth what she gets in 1 summer.

All conditions are local. I think you will be happy with the Nankings.

There is also a black Nanking, but good luck finding one of those.

2 Likes

I have searched high and low for Black Nanking and can’t seem to locate it. I’m hoping to find some cuttings or something this fall/winter.

1 Like

Argg, I did it again. I waited to long and Joy is sold out everywhere. Anyone able to share a cutting or 2?

1 Like

For those wanting to add these in the future here is a great place to start but as mentioned it’s getting pretty late this year. Bush Cherries Archives - Hartmann's Plant Company | Wholesale Store

You have to buy 10 of each item and a minimum of 100.

They also stock the ground cover raspberries.
Ground Cover Raspberries Archives - Hartmann’s Plant Company | Wholesale Store (hartmannsplantcompany.com)

1 Like

@lordkiwi

They have both a wholesale and retail business. The wholesale side has minimums. I’ve purchased from Mr. Hartmann before and his plants were very good quality. Many years ago I traded things with him.

2 Likes

I actually placed a wholesale order this year and would have been happy to split but it looks like Joy is out of stock too. I seriously considered the ground cover raspberries but EVERYONE I’ve asked about them on the forum says they are extremely shy bearing and strawberries or some other option is better. I’m going to start a thread for “group buy” wholesale orders for this kind of thing for next year. Probably the trading post would be a good spot? Maybe just general?

2 Likes

@lordkiwi and I have split orders in the past. Remember shipping is a bigger problem now as the costs have sky rocketed in the last year @disc4tw . The costs of everything farm related like fuel, taxes, tools, seed, plants it’s all up as well. The severe drought continues in California. I’m surprised grocery stores have anything in stock at all. Many of these wholesalers still have not raised prices to continue to bring in business.

1 Like

Yes the prices are still an incredible value if you are able to find an outlet for all the plants. For someone with lots of space (or friends and family) a 100 plant order can be feasible. I’ve split mine with a coworker who just bought 100 acres and needs some blueberries and cranberries for their mine spoil haha.

1 Like

I think it best each group order have its own thread. I wanted Arctics for the landscape. I love watching my kids pick strawberries, and bush cherries every day there able.

3 Likes

Try to find local members close by if you can @disc4tw. If I have something I’m trying to order bulk but can’t use it all @39thparallel and I split orders. We order each other things sometimes a couple times a year. There are other members very close by as well I wouldn’t hesitate to split things with if it’s something I need.

1 Like

@disc4tw It doesn’t have to be to close. If there enough members in PA maybe we can do a relay form member to member no more then an hour a part.

2 Likes

Jan and Joel in full bloom

about a week and half later i think just about every blossom set and is developing.

5 Likes

@lordkiwi

Looking good they are nice well behaved bushes.

very nice new growth this year. I need move one to give each more space in the fall/winter. I am still looking for Joy to complete the set.

2 Likes