Jan, Joel, Joy Dr. Meader cherries

They had Jan only at Lowe’s near me and I almost got it until I checked and saw its the only one of the three that appear to not be self fertile. As these seem to remain fairly tame I may try them as a hedgerow along the road.

3 Likes

I was placing an order with Logees last weekend and put the Joel into my cart, then out and back in over and over again…

I finally decided not to order it as I was afraid that having yet another cherry might increase my disease pressure (I have Evans, Northstar, Carmine Jewel and a pathetic Crimson Passion already).

How are Meader cherries for disease pressure?

Scott

1 Like

@Chills

Don’t even spray mine it never needs it

2 Likes

They ripped in July for me and did split or have any mummy berry. I did not spray them for Plum Curculio, and they did not seem effected by them. I will still spray them a couple of times this year just in case.

3 Likes

just hit mine with copper 5 days ago. i try to spray a few times at least for brown rot. last 2 springs were very dry and warmer than usual but this spring is more the typical cold wet weather.

3 Likes

no sign if PC damage. But i sprayed them anyway.

3 Likes

Any reason why these wouldn’t do well in zone 9? I can’t find chill hours or any other reason.

2 Likes

@Rispa

I’m in zone 6a , hopefully someone from a warmer zone sees your question.

2 Likes

I have been getting a good Harvest from a Joel/Jan pair in central Illinois. No bugs or bird problem which is a welcome surprise. We used to have a cherry tree and love cherry pie. When the tree died I planted the bushes since I’m getting too old to climb ladders. Anyways, my wife used her standard cherry pie recipe and the cherries seem to cook down into a jell while baking. You really couldn’t distinguish and individual fruits in the pie, and it wasn’t as juicy as a standard pie. Anyone else run into this on the bush cherries? Any good recipes? Thanks!

Rick

Neighbore put up a fence. So my whole berry wall will be getting less light from now on. I think I am droping more this year then last, but what remains should still be a nice samplying.

Going to have to start training more vertical growth from now own.

3 Likes

Can get a cutting or 2 of your joy cherry,. I keep forgetting to buy them before they go out of stock.

1 Like

:sob: :sob: :sob: unfortunately, i lost the joy to the peach tree borer last year.

oh man, didnt know they could be a problem.

Taken Jul7th 2023 before I left town and came back to empty bushes.

The fruit was much larger this year and about the size of a noncommercial sweet cherry.

1 Like