Japanese and hybrid plum pollination

Apologies for what’s probably a frequently asked question, but I am new to fruit trees and currently pulling my hair out trying to find an answer to my specific situation.

I recently had a plum tree planted in my garden and only found out that it was an Ozark Premier once in the ground. I also later learned that it isn’t truly self fruitful, which has led to a bunch of desperate calls to nurseries in my area to find a good pollinating partner. Research has shown that a Vanier, Shiro, and Satsuma may make good pollinators, but without shopping online (and most major online retailers are sold out), I only have Mount Royal, Toka, Pembina, and Superior within a 100 mile radius since I’m pretty late in the game. Ruling out the Euro variety, I’m struggling to find the viability of the Toka, Pembina, and Superior as suitable to go with the Ozark Premier.

Can anyone provide insight as to whether those last three would work? If not, is there another option I haven’t considered? I’m having quite a lot of trouble wrapping my head around Japanese x hybrid vs Japanese x Japanese vs hybrid x hybrid pollination effectiveness.

Thank you!

Ozark Premier is a Japanese plum. Other J plums like Shiro and Satsuma are good pollination partners.

No worry about buying another tree. Between now an next spring, study up how to graft. I can send you scionwood of both. Grafting plums are easy.

5 Likes

Stark Bros. recommend this plum as a pollinator for Ozark Premier

Bubblegum/Toka Plum might also work if you are looking for a dwarf tree. I can’t be sure because Stark Bros. only list harvest times, they don’t list bloom times.

Ozark Premier is listed as a pollinator for this one so would assume it is also a good pollinator for Ozark Premier.

1 Like

Thank you for the information. I think in lieu of planting another tree I’ll go with the graft option and take you up on your offer!

PM me in the winter around Jan.

1 Like

@mamuang Sorry! I can’t figure out how to send you a private message…I’ve been counting down the days. If you could PM I’d love to talk about your offer if it’s still available.

@ys89,
I think you need to post at least 15 posts before you could pm other members.

I will keep you on my list. I won’t collect scionwood until late Jan or early Feb. Hopefully by then, you will be able to pm me with your address.

mamuang, do you have the Starking Delicious plum already fruiting in your orchard?
I ask because tomorrow I want to do a short report on this variety (tomorrow I will harvest it), and I would like to know if any of the people I know on the forum has this magnificent plum.

Regards
Jose

Jose,
I don’t have this variety. I believe a few people here do.

I know you are very experienced fruit grower and very generous with your knowledge. However, I would like to point out that a magnificent piece of fruit at your locale can be a very mediocre piece of fruit at a different locale. We know that.

Also, you live in a hot and dry climate, an ideal climate to grow most fruit well. Unfortunately, most areas in the US do not have such an ideal fruit growing condition.

I always say fruit growing is like real estate, it’s about location, location, location :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Dammit .
It really it saddens me a lot that many of you may , can not enjoy whit the magnificent varieties that you have in the United States, due to your climatic conditions.
Is a real shame that you have to maintain a constant fight against adversity.
In any case, I will do a short report on this magnificent variety of plum, because it will surely be interesting for some of you to see how these varieties develop here in my country , of course without the intention of being pretentious , I do it in a totally humble way.

Regards
Jose

2 Likes