Jiro Persimmon in Vista CA

Just like that on the counter or the floor. They usually soft ripen in 2 weeks. They will be ripen faster with a banana or an apple in the bag.

3 Likes

Now showing off their holiday decor :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

3/21.

8 Likes

12/4. A trio of softies.

6 Likes

Ichi Ki Kei Jiro means “first life from Jiro” meaning it’s a sport of Jiro.

Stumbled upon this thread and since I planted a teenie tinie IKKJ this summer I looked it up.

3 Likes

It’s not a seedling?

1 Like

Well trusting a nursery’s description is always iffy, so I don’t know for sure.

The Japanese words translate that way so I guess the phrase “first life” can easily refer to either seed and sport.

I didn’t spend too long looking but I didn’t see any other references to its origins.

1 Like

I’d read that it is a sport of Jiro. I don’t have as source. I’ve never heard it referred to as a seedling.

3 Likes

Jiro persimmon chicken

6 Likes

I understand IKKJ to be a sport as well.

1 Like

I’ve not read one way or the other. There are fruit researchers who mention kaki persimmons offered online (e.g. eBay) that are seedlings with clever Japanese names.

1 Like

Ripe, crunchy, Jiro persimmons. Outstanding!

10 Likes

1/11. Some of the fruits were noticably soft so I opened up the cage “windows” and checked them all. Five were rotting bags of juice that I cut to fall on the ground. Eight were partially soft – about 1/2 to 3/4 around the circumference. I brought them inside.

10 Likes

Of those 8 fruits, 3 were usable and 5 were rotting. The 3 were sufficient for 2 jars of jam. You can see they are frothy around the edges. Next batch I’m going to experiment with skipping the 1 Tbs Ball low sugar pectin.

3 Likes

In tonights episode of persimmon preserves, I started with 6 firm but otherwise ripe Jiro persimmons. I removed the calyxes with conical cuts and then quartered the fruits. I then used a round steel soup spoon to scrape the flesh away from the skin. I pureed the flesh, resulting in three cups of liquid. It had the color and consistency of tomato soup! I was reminded of @TNHunter 's persimmon leathers, perhaps for another day.

I simmered the liquid for 20 minutes on low with the lid on, adding a 1/2 cup of sugar partway through but no pectin. Then I pored it into 4 half-pint jars and pressure cooked them for 15 minutes. Again, the walls of the jars were lined with froth. :rofl:

2 Likes

@Richard … interested to hear how your Jiro Jam turns out. I tried making jam with wild americans last year (that had awesome flavor fresh)… but once cooked (8 min simmer) then frozen for storage… once thawed out and tasted… it was not very tasty. With cooking and freezing it just did not retain that delicious wild persimmon flavor.

Hope your Jiro Jam turns out good.

2 Likes

@TNHunter
How do you store your fruit leathers?

1 Like

@Richard … in the fridge.

Dehydrated figs and persimmon fruit leather… i have simply put them in a mason jar with a plastic storage lid screwed on tightly.

Still eating both and no sign of any type of spoilage. They still look just like they did when first dehydrated and still taste the same.

The bummer with my wild american persimmons is this…

Fresh… they are ever bit as good as figs… figs and persimmons are my top 2 tasting fruits. Delicious.

But dehydrated figs are 10x better than dehydrated persimmon fruit leather… the wild americans just do not retain that wondedful flavor when cooked, frozen, or dehydrated.

I have heard that morris burton does retain good persimmon flavor if frozen… but it does not appeal to me because it is smallish.

2 Likes

@TNHunter
Thanks for the info on the fruit leathers.
I pasteurize my jam instead of freezing.

1 Like

I let last night’s batch cool overnight on the counter. It set without added pectin. Apparently there is some agent in the fruit that contributes to viscosity.

2 Likes