Joan J Raspberry review

Tip rooting is good for a few plants but nothing like what cuttings could do especially since those canes get pruned anyways… and not to mention its very complicated with erect varieties… i think Illini is another variety that doesnt tip root well if at all from what i remember.

Since you asked for cuttings…obviously you have had success… whats your method? You also specified Spring… why Spring?

i do spring because that when i prune and stick the cuttings but lately ive been sticking fall cuttings and had even better results but both work. Rubus dont root as well as currants but ive had about 60% success rooting in ground with mulch around them. i stick them late april/ early May and usually by early June they’re pushing growth. i only water if its dry but may/ june here are very wet.

2 Likes

A friend of mine gave me a bunch of Joan J runners that she dug up today. They have about 4"-6" of green growth, and about 4"-6" of root. The roots are just thick, straight roots (either T- or L-shaped) with almost no hairy feeder roots. So I stuck them in a pot for now, my thought being that I can give them some wood ash or other fertilizer to help their roots grow for a few weeks before putting them in the earth. Was that the right thing to do?

I was planning to wait until maybe early May, and then plant them in mounds along a fence that’s in between my house and my neighbor’s house. It gets decent sun there between maybe 10-11am through 5-6pm during summer, but would be shaded by the houses in the mornings and late afternoons. Would that be enough sun?

I’ve never grown raspberries before, so any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks!

@dpps – you might put them in a indirect light only location for a few days… so they don’t wilt too bad.
Keep them watered…

You can slowly increase the light… once they look Ok in indirect light only a few days, move to a morning sun only location for a few days… and eventually out into full sun… and once they do well there for a few days plant them out in your bed.

It would be better if you had each root shoot in a pot by itself… some may recover and look good quickly, others may struggle a little longer. And when you plant them you don’t have to disturb the roots so much (again).

Good Luck !

1 Like

@TNHunter will do, thanks so much! The pot they’re in now is on the north side of my house, so they’re shaded most of the day until mid-afternoon. I’ll give them a good watering now. Will they need fertilizer now, or wait until I plant them in the ground?

Alas, I don’t have any smaller pots available at the moment, they’re all full of other things. The runners were a nice surprise as she was gardening today, so I wasn’t prepared for or expecting them.

I did the post above a while back.

Raspberries are pretty easy to prop by rootshoots. I put mine in individual pots filled with a mix of garden dirt and compost… and that mix had my usual mix of organic fertilizers mixed in… bone meal blood meal gypsum greensand epsom salt.

Babied them a while… moved them to more sun as they looked ready for it…

Bought 6 raspberries and a couple years later had 100 or more.

:wink:

4 Likes

June 13 and the Floricane crop of Joan J is coming to an end. It was a huge crop for almost 4 weeks. The primocanes are flowering and producing crop already. It is seems to be ever bearing for me. Primocane fruits are twice as big. I noticed the primocanes production are not uniform. Each cane reached about 5 to 6 feet separately then flower. At this rate I wonder where the fall fruits will be. Maybe from the small runners that are still coming up. They were sending out lots of runners. Enough to make 2x 60 feet rows from 5 plants planted in march 2021.

Always thought some smelly fruits was from stink bug bites. I was wrong. Found some tiny bugs on a very small percentage of fruit that smelled like stink bugs if accidentally eaten with the druplet. Killed some separately and verified their stink bomb. Good thing they are usually on over ripe druplets. Also since the druplets are airtight they have almost no small insects running around. Unlike blackberries.

1 Like

My heritage reds produced a nice crop this spring… we have not bought any berries from the store for a month or more now. Had plenty of raspberries and blueberries for fresh eating and put up some jam too.

They started ripening about 1.5 to 2 weeks earlier this year than previous years… and finished earlier too.

I picked the last couple dozen berries from one of my beds yesterday and cleaned out the spent fcanes.

I have a bunch of nice HR floricanes left in the patch which will produce a nice fall crop too.

4 Likes

Video from 2 weeks ago.

2 Likes

That’s me in the video haha. It was 3rd take so I have already eaten most of the beautiful druplets. I have never taken growing berries seriously. This year changed my mind. They are so easy, productive and tasty. I am so hooked now. Raspberry are very invasive so I think I will just stick with this variety. I don’t think I will be able to separate them once the root merge together. Look at these beauties.

6 Likes

Nice vid @Sunny_Orchard.

I started 2 JJ and 2 Purp Royalty this spring and a few bristol blacks.

I have a bunch of Heritage reds and they do very well here… spring and fall crop and root shoot plenty… easy to propigate.

Those JJs looked nice … looking forward to trying them myself.

1 Like

I want to try the Crimson Treasure but I can’t find anything on its thorniness. It seems like a good variety to extend the season and it’s large.

We are about to get our floricane crop of Joan J and Himbo Top in the next 2 weeks

In the fall (Sept), the top third of new growth (primocane) will produce raspberries

Prune the top third away over the winter (it should be easy to see where the flowers and fruit established) and by June the following year, the bottom 2/3rds will have their June primocane crop (and they are loaded); once the June crop is picked, remove these plants (they will not produce any more fruit) to allow space and sun for the fall primocane shoots growing

with a little pruning you can get 2 crops and they are great; kids love the 2 crops and are invested in picking them

5 Likes

one typo - the bottom 2/3rds will have their June floricane crop (not primocane)

2 Likes

@rubus_chief … my heritage reds double crop nicely here in TN.

On pcanes… we get fruit mid August until November … a few years back had a late first hard frost and i picked my last rasberries and figs on Dec 3. My fall crop is steady but lighter than the spring crop… but continues for 3 months or so.

On fcanes… mine start ripening the spring crop here mid may… and they go for about a month… big crop very abundent… time to make jam and freeze berries.

Fall gold double crops well here too… but they are much less vigorous than the reds. My population of fall golds has dwindled down to one cane left… my HRs have multiplied like crazy. Started with 3 plants… and have 4 nice beds of them now.

3 Likes

If you live in a nice climate take a look at Cascade Delight. Its becoming a favorite for U-pick in the PNW. Not very popular in the Eastern US as its not in many Eastern nurseries…but little by little its becoming more popular due to its disease resistance and ability to thrive in wetter soils.

If you only want thornless…Joan J is one of the best for thornlessness. Canby is smaller berries and bland to me. English Thornless is another that seems alot to me like Joan J… mostly grown by Edible Landscaping since the 1990s.

Crimson Treasure has similar fruiting times as Heritage however berries are 6.4G vs Heritage 3.0G

Heritage was improved by Caroline and improved again in the Crimson Series which includes Crimson Giant and Crimson Night by Cornell U.

7 Likes

If it wasn’t clear, primocanes will fruit until the first hard frost (which for us is usually oct, sometimes nov.

2 Likes

Is Joan J the only thornless? Is the Crimson serious also thornless, almost thornless or have thorns that doesn’t hurt you? I had a Homedepot Thorny Raspberry before. No one bother to pick them and the berries were smaller like the fcane of Joan J.

Cascade Delight sounds good too. How bad are the thorns? I’ll read up on it to see if it’s a good Joan J season extension. If I remember right there was a slight drop in production for Joan J in the middle of summer. Joan J also fruit until frost last year.

For you and others that may read this in the future… usually most known cane fruits that are USDA or private releases have patents at some point in their life…which will include details about the canes, how it fruits…etc. Point being that it has to be described fully to show that it is ‘different’ than something else to reward a patent…

So lets take Crimson Treasure for instance… Type Crimson Treasure Patent into a search engine… then u will get results.

if you dont like to read much you can always toggle up to the upper right hand side of your browser and pull down to ‘Find in Page’ and search the term ‘spine’. Which is usually used in descriptions by scholars.

The canes of the new raspberry plant Crimson Treasure are light yellow-green colored (Y-G 144B) with short, sparse, grayed-purple (G-P 185A) colored spines on the mature sections.

Is Joan J the only thornless- No. English Thornless, Canby, Mammoth Red, Raspberry Shortcake and Itsaul (very hard to find).

Cascade Delight thorns- the mildest thorns of the thorny varieties…has very few and small thorns comparable to Polka.

2 Likes

Joan J and Himbo Top are both thornless

4 Likes