Joining the Jujube clan today

I received my first two Jujubes from One Green World today. I have never even seen a Jujube fruit in person much less tried one but I am going to give them a shot. I got a Coco and a Sugar Cane Jujube. The Coco is not much more than a sapling but the Sugar Cane is a nice sized tree.
Anyone who has tried the Coco how do you think it compares to other varieties?

6 Likes

Welcome!
I never grow coco, but I know sugar cane like mist when Flowering. Mist can help produce fruits.

I have tasted most cultivars including these two at Farmer’s Markets. Li is still my favorite.

1 Like

Do you remember if Coco had a coconut flavor and if so how intense was the coconut flavor?

It’s a selling point, not a feature.

5 Likes

They should grow well there. I haven’t tasted Coco but I did graft some this year. My favorites are Li, Chico, Honey Jar, and SiHong. I might have to add some to that list!!:grin:. I’m about 120 miles SSE of you. They like our weather.

2 Likes

Native:
China Anhui, Fujian, Gansu, Guangdong, Guangxi, Guizhou, Hebei, Henan, Hubei, Hunan, Jiangsu, Jiangxi, Liaoning, Nei Monggol, Ningxia, Shaanxi, Shandong, Shanxi, Sichuan, Xinjiang, Yunnan, Zhejiang.

Henan Weather. Henan Province, located in the Central-eastern China, has distinct four seasons. For a year, the average temperature is 14 °C (57 °F), the coldest month is January with the average temperature is about 0 °C (32 °F), and that of the hottest July is 27 °C (about 81 °F).

1 Like

Welcome, I’ll be joining the club soon I hope too. I have my tree still in the Raintree box on my back porch, its been there for a week. I opened it and made sure everything was still dormant, but I’m waiting to plant it until after the forestry mulcher comes on Thursday and rototills about 40 stumps that have been nagging me for years.

I’m hoping my honeyjar will ripen here. Perhaps I’ll graft some earlier cultivars onto it in the coming years for good measure.

3 Likes

Just guessing but we are probably close to +10 degrees over all those averages. That might be a bit low estimation

I was close…

On average, there are 230 sunny days per year in Athens, Texas. The July high is around 93 degrees. The January low is 36.

1 Like

From 2003 to 2012 I stocked and sold Jujubes. My operation was in zone 9b with average January temperatures of 55F with maybe a dozen nights dropping to 28F and a week of daytime temperatures in the low 70’s. In July-August we had average temperatures in the 80’s with lows in the 70’s and highs in the upper 90’s. All cultivars performed fine.

Now I’m in zone 10b where it doesn’t freeze but summer temperatures are about 10 degrees cooler. The Li Jujube cultivar is performing fine so far.

1 Like

There’s a fifteen acres jujube orchard about an hour north west from your location.
Their main variety is Sherwood and they do have pick your own every fall.
I’ll post here when it’s on. I’ve tried Li from mature trees and IMHO Sherwood tastes better.
I love that variety especially on mature trees that are over 35 year old.
These are very slow growing trees especially in my type of soil in North Austin, but they love the Texas weather. I have a few varieties in my yard with the oldest being over eight year old. The tallest is about seven feet, but watch out when the take off. The sugar cane is excellent for fresh eating but so far has not been a heavy bearer like the So.
Coco has excellent flavor and reminds me of So perhaps. They are all great if taken care of properly. My favorite for fresh eating is honyjar but each one has its own pluses and minuses depending on local conditions.

7 Likes

I have three Coco and a SugarCane, and a few others :slight_smile:

The Coco Jujube is a real treat. Wait until they are fully red but still crisp, take them inside to wash, and let them sit on a paper towel for a day or two. They are super sweet, and the wait somehow helps them gain a texture I really like. Haven’t noticed any hint of coconut, but love them all the same. Probably my favorite to bring to the office for a snack.

Honey jar is great right off the tree, at least 1/2 red is my picking point

My SugarCane gets picked & prepared the same as the Coco.

My Li & Shanx Li’s get picked when they are at least 1/4 red. Washed and dried. I dehydrate them till they are very wrinkled and still spongy. I absolutely love them this way. So big, sweet, rich like molasses, and if I don’t force myself to stop I would gain 50 lbs each harvest season.

I’m really glad we found them and I’m enjoying learning about them over the years.

9 Likes

Hi Sas! What’s the name of that Sherwood orchard?

Hi Daniel, where are you located?

Wow, that post was a lot of wishful thinking. That jujube may be dead, after not putting on much growth, and that forestry mulcher never materialized. I now have 3 pt. stump grinding attachment and am waiting for the soil to dry out some so I can take out a bunch of stumps without totally destroying the surrounding vegetation with the tractor.

I’m looking for leads for a good sized Honeyjar, or maybe other variety or seedling to get established and later graft to Honeyjar.

This has been a slow, wet, cold spring. Still hasn’t been close to dry enough to till, and few days over 60F so far.

1 Like