Jonagold

Jonagold dropped. One of my granddaughter loves this apple so I put it into the crisper to save until her next visit.

11 Likes

One of my favorites. Good eater and keeper too.

3 Likes

How has the fruit been with insects. Still waiting on mine to fruit.

1 Like

I had a very large Jonagold tree. It took two other pollinators before I had large harvests. A favorite apple and so big and beautiful. Your’s doesn’t have much red.

2 Likes

I grew this one in a ziploc bag so there was no insect damage. There was only one Jonagold apple on the tree/limb.

There was only one Jonagold and it dropped. The ones that I have seen sold at Publix had a lot of red skin. My opinion is that it is a high quality apple.

1 Like

I agree. In RI they were enormous. Four baked apples for 8 people!

2 Likes

I understand that the trees are unusually vigorous. True?

1 Like

I have Jonagold fruiting for the first time this year. The fruit are a good size.

Mrs.G. Do you remember when did you pick yours in RI?

2 Likes

That looks nothing like aJonagold as grown here. Here It has red stripes and tends to be very large. I don’t see the Jonathon in that apple- looks like a Golden Delicious. Maybe it just dropped before it was ripe.

3 Likes

It was on a weak tree and might have just dropped early but as mentioned it might not even be a Jonagold.

1 Like

It would probably be a vigorous tree if not for being on a Bud 9 root.

I have Jonagold grafted onto a tree with 3 other varieties, and it is the most vigorous and needs the most pruning.

1 Like

Incidentally, I used to like Jonagold, although at my site it is prone to what I think is black rot- circular indentations that destroy the quality of the fruit by creating rot before fruit ripens. (Calcium sprays help). However, once I tried growing Jonaprince, a sport of Jonagold, the original lost its appeal. It is somewhat smaller and denser than the original or other sports I’ve grown and has a beautiful splotchy color and maybe slightly higher brix.

Now when I want a sweeter apple to cook with I reach for Jonaprince. I mostly eat raw apples that have more acid. Goldrush, Pink Lady and Spitz, for examples. My customers often think that Jonaprince is Honeycrisp, and they do look and taste similar. Jonaprince is more reliably productive and somewhat easier to grow. It’s also a much prettier tree- HC’s look sickly.

3 Likes

Are Jonaprince and Red Jonaprince two different varieties?

1 Like

Yes, end of Sept.

2 Likes

I don’t know. They come up with redder sports all the time, and contrary to the history of Red Delicious it does not necessarily lead to worst taste.

If there is only Red Jonaprince, than that must be it. I do tend to shorten names, whence Spitz.

1 Like

I have a few spots of that on my State Fair and have had it show up on Karmijn de Sonneville. Could you recommend a good spray? I do have Stop Rot on hand and am thinking of using that.

1 Like

Commercial growers generally rely on calcium sprays. I don’t think fungicides are that helpful for that, at least, on their own they don’t work for me. Adding calcium in summer sprays seems to work.

1 Like

Thanks. I just wonder if there’s a particular calcium you suggest to add to my summer sprays.

1 Like