Josephine Raspberry

Yeah, the fall crop may be, but what about its summer (floricane) crop? Do most ever bearers have more fruit on the primocanes?

I have three fall varieties (Anne, Fall Gold, Caroline), I guess I’ll see this year, even though my present canes are pretty puny. I also noticed that Prelude gave a small amount of fall berries last year. Perhaps most red summer-bearers do this? I thought my Killarney did the same thing.

Some are poor summer bearers others are not! Still I prune them for two crops.
It’s hards to judge as I have good years and bad. I don’t always know why?

Yes some do give a small fall crop. Prelude gives a decent amount but the summer crop is better. Taylor, Encore, Cascade Gold, and Honey Queen never gave me a fall crop. Strictly summer bearing. .

1 Like

After reading this thread from last year about Josephine raspberry, I was intrigued. Previously I had been growing Tulameen, a huge, sweet fruit the first couple of years, but, like all raspberries, had started to peter out by year 4. I took a chance and ordered Josephine off Amazon. While they seemed expensive ($50 for 5 plants), I went ahead.(You all know this illness.) Plants came today…7 instead of 5…each with an extensive root system. I’m happy with the way they look! Will see about production.

3 Likes

Hopefully they will really be Josephine. Come back and tell us about them after they fruit if you can. :slight_smile:

Oooh, I’m interested in comparisons of raspberries. Although, right now I’m fighting squirrels, and what I am mostly looking for is a raspberry that is thorny enough to be unpleasant for them to climb, and sturdy enough that if they do climb it, they don’t immediately break the cane. I tried Prelude, and it failed on both those counts.

Of course, I want the berries to taste good, too. I prefer red raspberries over black of gold (the yellow ones aren’t sour enough for my tastes) and like others, I think Heritage has a bit of an off flavor in the aftertaste, and is one of my least favorites.

1 Like

Boston Mountain seems to have dropped Josephine this year (haven’t emailed them though, and they have $122 minimum order)? Does Schlabach’s Nursery, or some other nursery, have it?

Anyone have suckers they could share? 5-7x & $50 is too much. Not sure if they would produce anything here in Colorado; but this thread has gotten me interested!

2 Likes

I’m looking for Josephines as well. Nourse will let you buy a limit of 5 plants. I’m looking for 40x.

Do you still have Josephine ? Are they still doing tood on the Tennessean Kentucky border ? I’m in southeast Missouri near cape Girardeau . Sounds like they would do good here in similar climate

How did they do? The only place I can find Josephine is on Amazon. And I’m not sure how reputable is for actually having real Josephine raspberries

I bought mine from here… a couple of years ago… no clue if they are still in business.

1 Like

I bought 5 Josephine off eBay in Jan ‘21 and now have too too many! They turned out to be the real thing - sweet taste, large berries, and long fruiting period. If anyone is interested I’ll be selling suckers at $4 each once tops die back. . Will post on trading site in the fall.

4 Likes

Are you sure those are Josephine? Mine were more round and had larger drupes. I looked at pictures online and they also seemed to be like mine … see for example this one from MSU:

Raspberries vary in shape by climate but not sure how much they can vary.

1 Like

Those look alot like Joan J…

Took another pic today. They are definitely more elongated than round.
IMG_1095
So maybe not Josephine. They are late and sweet - but that doesn’t narrow it down much!

1 Like