Jujube cultivars grown in the US

I just finished a website for pawpaws for a similar project. I need a break for a bit and persimmons are probably next. Jujubes may follow shortly thereafter!

2 Likes

Awesome list! :slight_smile:

Gurney’s just released a new variety called “Super Sweet” (Botanical name: Ziziphus jujuba ‘GA 866’). I had already order 2 varieties from them a couple of weeks ago, but I’m thinking of calling and trying to add this one to my order as well.

2 Likes

GA866 is an old variety from the Chico planting if I recall (it is on the above list). I wouldn’t recommend it, it doesn’t fruit reliably.

5 Likes

Oh, I didn’t see that… thanks, I won’t bother then. :slight_smile:

Care to share those sites?
Cuz Persimmons and Pawpaws are at the top of my native (or naturalizable) crop tree list too!

I made a post about it here. Happy to share the knowledge and I am very excited to see others are working towards similar goals with other fruits too!

Some nurseries and some individuals have listed GA 866 as Georgia 866. That is not a valid name and I will not list it here. GA 866 came from the USDA Ag station in Chico, California. It has no connection to the state of Georgia.

2 Likes

Just ran across an old photo of a very large Porterville jujube.

7 Likes

Porterville would make a unique jack-o-lantern

1 Like

Many of them do look like small pumpkins.

1 Like

I’ve recently been engaged in a discussion regarding whether Li and Li2 are the same. It’s my opinion they are not. Li has, on the average, larger fruit. Li2 has, on the average, tastier fruit. The fruit color is a little more vivid on Li2. They also mature fruit at different times. I’m curious as to whether Li2 might be a bud sport of Li though because they are very similar. In the photo below, Li fruit are on top and Li2 fruit are on the bottom.

11 Likes

Added Shandong Pear today

2 Likes

Have you had a chance to taste the Hetian Jade jujube yet? Compare it to sugar cane or Honey Jar?

3 Likes

so many in that chopin liszt , i mean, shopping list that need to get my hands on!

2 Likes

I have not tasted Hetian Jade.

1 Like

Which is earlier and how much difference is there?

Li2 is later than Li in zone 9 in the California central valley, where ripening times are extended because of the long growing season. There’s about a 2-3 week difference there. In areas with shorter growing seasons ripening times are compressed and the difference would be less.

2 Likes

‘Elk Grove’ cultivar thorns -

3 Likes

OMG!!! And my graft looks to be taking!!!
:flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed:

2 Likes

That’s not mine. That’s Katy’s tree in Las Vegas.

1 Like