Jujube fruit set if you don't have hot dry summers

good article,thanks for share. I I’ll keep my tree short

1 Like

My Jujubes, 3 out of 4 are in full sun.

that’s good to know. You should expect your hj’s to start giving you plenty fruits next year if your trees are getting enough sun exposure. HJ’s are generally the most precocious as new-grafts or as bareroots, from what have observed

you’re welcome, and thank you. And keep us posted!

1 Like

HJ is new this year but a much bigger caliper than the last year’s. So far I have seen about 7-8 fruit on it. I t does not suffer nutrient deficiency, either.

The second year SC and Shanxi Li have suffered nutrient deficiency esp. SC. I have been too busy to send in soil test yet. Both are in full sun. I have seen one fruit on each tree. At this rate, I will turn totally gray before I eat a dozen of SC and Shanxi Li :unamused:

try to amend the soil around your trees with plenty organic matter meanwhile.

These Honey Jar Jujube will be ripen in about 3 weeks.

Tony

5 Likes

Tony,
They look so good. Yours are way ahead of mine but mine was planted this year.

3 Likes

Very nice @tonyOmahaz5.
Fruits seem to be bigger than our hj’s and the shape seems to be different, especially those on the first pic.
Climate really seems to affect shape, and quite evidently with our findings here-- the taste.

3 Likes

Yeah,. Last year the shape is much rounder. You are right about the weather and climate would influence the shape.

Tony

4 Likes

I was at my local botanical gardens (Lewis Gunter, Richmond VA) with my son this weekend and they have a jujube (looks to be a Lang) that is overflowing with fruit. The pictures don’t do it justice. This tree has no pollination partners, probably does not have full sun, and it’s rarely dry here.

7 Likes

awesome find! :thumbsup:
jujube trees impart a profound feeling of permanence. And have few peers in that ‘department’

btw, many of its fruits kind of look like lang, but also reminds me of the elongated types.

1 Like

In taste, my Li Jujube’s taste equivalent to the ones grown in the frying pan of Modesto CA and sold in farmers markets here.

2 Likes

modesto has relatively mild summers compared to vegas, so i presume your li’s summer crops are ok in taste? I remember your li being fairly young. With age, it will likely crop at least twice in one growing season in your area, you’d likely to notice a difference in quality of summer crop vs. early autumn crop.

1 Like

I have a pretty small Sugarcane that I grafted fairly recently that has a decent crop for its small size, and I have a tiny Redlands just grafted this year that’s set multiple fruits, but my 9-10 years in the ground Li, Lang, and Sherwood all have very meager crops this year, even below the average of the last few years. Maybe it’s because of all the rain we had in May and June when the jujubes were flowering and setting fruit. I would have thought Richmond had similar weather, though.

A little update: My own trees, as I already said, all bore very sparsely this year, but I received a few big bags of jujubes from a friend of a friend that lives nearby. He’s obviously had the kind of crop that is oversupplying his friends to the point where friends of friends are receiving generous quantities. (I got some last year, too.) I haven’t seen his orchard, but I know where he lives. I don’t think weather can account for the difference in productivity as close as he is, and I’m guessing what I’ve mostly gotten from him are Li, which is a variety I have as well, so I don’t think the difference in productivity mostly has to with variety differences either. I don’t know exactly how many trees he has, but I’m pretty sure it’s a lot for a home orchard but that he doesn’t ever sell any. I need to go visit him, but I tried to arrange a visit over the phone, and he didn’t speak English well enough for me to be able to effectively communicate with him over the phone.

2 Likes

Thats interesting… do you know how old the trees are? Maybe they are a lot older.

Or maybe its the soil. Or maybe its the sun. Or maybe he is doing some trick like scoring the bark.

1 Like

I really don’t know much, Scott, but I hope to find out more.

Your questions have led me to one other thought, though. What about rootstock? Could differences in rootstocks explain some of these differences in productivity?

This friend of a friend isn’t the only example of productive jujube trees in this region. There’s also the tree in the botanical garden in Richmond that Paul recently posted photos of above. There’s also the tree at the demonstration orchard in Greensboro, photos of which I posted to this thread a couple years ago. And I’ve heard of another friend of a friend not too far from here (in the foothills nearer the SC border) that had a huge crop, enough that my friends were asking me how to preserve all the jujubes they were given from that one tree this year. That tree is apparently on its own roots. Of course, there are plenty of examples of very poor yielding jujubes in the humid East, too. If we all keep experimenting and exploring different hypotheses, I’m hopeful that before too long we’ll not only stumble on success like in these better examples but figure out some explanations, too.

1 Like

quite possible. Since seedlings of domesticated cultivars seem to be just as tough as wild-type rootstoc, nurseries ‘get away’ with using random seedlings as roostock for their grafted cultivars. Possible that when grown in regions with long-growing seasons, the rootstoc may not affect overall performance, but will not be the case in regions with sub-par conditions. There are at least 1000 named varieties in asia, and from what can recall with just the handful of us here who have planted random seeds and watched them as they bear their first fruits, we’ve added at least 10 more cultivars that were born and raised here in usa.

as a backyard operation!

here in vegas where have managed to get >50 cultivars to fruit, the interstems(along with the rootstock) seem to influence precocity( or lack of), when grafted over. So even if confident that a cultivar will ultimately bear fruits, we’ve noticed that certain cultivars tend to be more precocious on certain interstems.

when growing jujus here, it is not a matter of if, but a matter of when. And always nicer if the ‘when’ is sooner than later.

i hope that tree tends to sucker, and that the owner is kind enough to give you one. May just be the solution to your trees’ low production or delayed maturity. Also promising in itself in case grafts don’t turn out precocious/productive-- since from the owner’s accounts it bears quality fruits, and the mother tree is solid proof of precocity and high production.

2 Likes

Hello. I am new to the page and was wondering if anyone had had any success in propagating Jujubes from cuttings, have tried hardwood in the Winter, Softwood in Spring and from seed. Not much luck with any of these methods. I already have the varieties of: Sherwood, land, Li, Chico, Siemin, Redlands, Lanes, Ta-Jan, Shanix Li and Silverhill. Just starting to pick fruit over here and really impressed with the quality of some varieties.

I’ve heard of lots of people trying with no success, and my own very minimal attempts have failed, too, but Just Fruits & Exotics fairly recently started selling jujubes on their own roots, so someone there apparently figured something out.