Jujube fruit set if you don't have hot dry summers

I THINK that Tigertooth jujube is the only one they sell that is self rooted. It’s the only one that they advertise that way. I have heard of several people that have Tigertooth on its own roots. But I think there is some tissue culture work being done somewhere. @castanea and @jujubemulberry may have more info on that and correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, I remember someone here contacted JF&E and confirmed what you said about the rootstock. On a related note, I’ve tried air layering with no success. I gave them more than adequate time to “take.” Lots of callousing but no roots. I will try again with some modifications.

I may be who you’re thinking of. I spoke with them several times about this. It boils down to:
1.) They have a huge Tigertooth tree which throws off suckers, so if you get a TT from them, it is likely on it’s own roots.
2.) They sometimes use TT suckers as rootstocks for the others
3.) Sometimes use other “normal” rootstocks (I didn’t dig deeper on this one)
4.) Sometimes on own roots, using summer softwood cuttings under mist (no rooting hormone). They did say that their yield from this was pretty low.

So if you want something on it’s own roots, you can call and ask which (if any) of their current inventory was made that way. Last spring, it was only TT (I think), though the two So I got a year or two before were both on their own roots.

2 Likes

[quote=“k8tpayaso, post:543, topic:515”]
that Tigertooth jujube is the only one they sell that is self rooted. It’s the only one that they advertise that way. I have heard of several people that have Tigertooth on its own roots. [/quote]

yes and no. I say yes because have received ‘tigertooth’ from Mr Meyer that were not grafted, and very slow-growing as a result(marcots tend to be slow-growing due to absence of taproots typical of youthful seedlings, and if you are a believer of senescence of trees, propagating from cuttings ‘reverts’ the clone to its real age, and with jujus, may be thousands of years.). But also say no-- because there might be more than one ‘tigertooth’, being sometimes known as ‘silverhill’. So our findings here might not be the same with other “tigertooth” grown elsewhere
Senescence might be reason why our silverhills lag(they grow like airlayered citrus, very bushy and virtually no bolting). Grafting on to trees with seed-grown roots normalized their growth habits typical of other jujus.
Jujus continue to be as mysterious and intriguing. Of the slowest-growing juju grafts we have(even on seed-grown rootstoc), R2T2 seems to be the laggard. Contorted, which many nurseries declare as ‘dwarf’’, well, here, they are just as fast-growing and as big as other jujus. Have successfully rooted HJ’s from direct cuttings(not airlayered) a couple of years ago, but growth was slow, and are now dead for some reason. Didn’t have a greenhouse, so grew them in pots placed in large ziploc bags. The mist inside evidently helped, but the half-hearted attempt on my part posed lots of questions or could-haves/should-haves
Have seen online accounts of li successfully being airlayered(i think one of the posters here).

Where we’re at, don’t really have much incentive attempting airlayers due to our oven-dry summers, but figured might was well try this growing season, just for kicks :grin:

have seen a most exciting study in israel posted online re the subject of juju tissue-culture, with plenty pictures of micro-juju specimens growing on their own roots, but of course involves expensive biochemicals/media. Will post it once find it.

1 Like

G’day Bob, You mentioned that summer cuttings were grown on their own roots with no rooting hormone, why would that be? also is the Tiger Tooth variety another name for Silverhill. I have a very large 2 year old tree that I was given and it was labelled Silverhill. has very long fruit and heaps of it, very weepy tree as wide as it is high. All my trees are grafted onto a very thorny rootstock that sucker everywhere. I am in a 50" rainfall district in southern Queensland Australia. would appreciate all the help that I can get as I am new to this Jujube growing.

G’day mate. Thanks for that information, I have sent a plant of the variety Chico to a tissue culture lab near Sydney, early days as yet but would love to hear if anyone else has done this before.
Cheers
John

I was wondering if anyone knows if the jujube variety Si-Hong is the same one as Honey Jar, the Si-Hong that I have seems to fit the description of the Honey Jar that you are talking about. We don’t have the variety Honey jar in Australia. Thanks John

Here they are two separate cultivars. SiHong is larger than Honey Jar with a completely different taste.

1 Like

Thanks mate

G’day to you too, and really happy to see a member situated at the other side of the equator :slightly_smiling_face: Especially one breaking news every juju aficionado here would love to hear - tissue-cultured jujus! Mass-producing choice cultivars of jujus on their own roots sounds super sexy.

speaking of chico and attempts to propagate on own roots, below is a seductive chico branch that has been signalling its willingness to ‘get down and dirty’. :grin:
Chico stems have a habit of arch downwards, so all need to do is wait for it to leaf out, girdle, then pull down and get it covered with dirt.

Even better is that chico was supposedly grown from seed the previous century, so any clone from it may be considered a sprightly youngster in jujube terms

1 Like

Here is a link to jujubemulberry’s site where he posts a lot of photos…he does here too but you don’t have to hunt the threads for them here. He’s too modest to give you this link himself…lol…

He has photos here of many varieties of jujus grown here, among them Honey Jar and SiHong

Katy

2 Likes

Thanks mate, I will go out and try a bit of air layering, my Silverhill ( Tiger tooth) is 2.5m wide and 2m high. It is very willowy and the branches are on the ground so should be well suited to a bit of marcoting treatment.
Cheers

keep us posted!

whoah @k8tpayaso ! Might be a violation of bylaws and terms of this .org :wink:

1 Like

for pictures??? hahahaha

possibly, many juju photos posted there are quite explicit :laughing:

2 Likes

Lol. Maybe some of those could go in my new Playplant magazine.

1 Like

deleted by poster, admittedly got carried away

deleted by poster, admittedly got carried away…

Just to tag along on the general discussion regarding jujubes in the east coast, I’ve been reading advice that states you should make sure jujubes are well watered or they will drop their crop. This is the advice given by Just Fruits & Exotics who seems to have good luck with jujubes in Florida.