Jujube help. Anyone had a jujube lose all its leaves?

Hey folks. My Honey Jar jujube just dropped almost all of its leaves(they were still green). I’m thinking the spot it was planted in might have been too wet or I fertilized a bit too much. It might have been a bit of both. It never really took off. I dug up as much of the root ball, which was pretty puny, as I could and placed it in a 30 gallon pot next to a few pomegranates I’m rooting. Anyone had this occur? What do y’all think are the chances of it coming back are?

2 Likes

hj, li, and coco every now and then do that here too, and have no clue why. The branches don’t normally die though have seen some that did. Best to just wait for dormant buds to grow. Possible too much fertilizer on your part made it lose its leaves.

we don’t fertilize our trees btw.

3 Likes

Are those suckers from the same plant? The suckers look good so roots are probably in good shape or at least recovering.

My Li put almost no leaves out and I don’t know why, also has no fruit this year. My Sugar Cane and Sherwood right next to it look fine and are loaded. My Li did not drop any leaves just never put many on in the spring.

4 Likes

No, no suckers. Those are pomegranate cuttings that have been growing. Needed a quick pot up and had some space next to them.

2 Likes

@chadspur
If this plant was planted bare root, its roots aren’t enough for relatively larger plant. When I buy plants I always prune them for better establishment.

1 Like

It was a potted tree planted 2 years ago.

@chadspur Did your tree survive? I’m having the same issue with a few of mine right now. In particular, a Chico that had been turning yellow has now dropped most of it’s leaves.

Any new guesses as to why this is happening? Mine were potted and well fertilized and watered. I wonder if it was either too much water or too much fertilizer. However, none of my trees show obvious signs of fertilizer burn in their leaves.

1 Like

It’s a big tree in the ground now so whatever caused it was fixed :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

@chadspur Thanks for replying, I’m glad to know that it’s probably not terminal, whatever the issue is. Jujubes continue to be a mystery to me. All mine get the same care and their individual health is all over the spectrum.