Jujube in zone 5

Can you imagine if there was a place like that in Montreal? That would be soooo great!

1 Like

Peach walls like this are on my “to do” list :slight_smile:

1 Like

Montreuil is also famed for its ‘White’ asparagus. It is one of the places that grew and blanched the stubby white stems. Right outside of Paris too! Great place.

2 Likes

@tonyOmahaz5 do you have a full tree picture of these jujube trees. I’m curious to see how big they get at end of 2 years.

Jujubes are some what slow growing tree. My oldest tree is 8 years old and only at about 12 feet tall.

1 Like

I recommend Honey Jar in Zone 5. Most jujube varieties can be hardy to Zone 5, but they are needed to be protected in first winter. Winter delight is the best tasting one, but ripe too late. Honey jar can be ripe in early September. It is very productive and its taste is very good, not influenced by the weather. The only shortcoming is the small fruit.
Although jujube can survive in drought weather, drought can influence the taste and even cause no fruit. Jujube trees should be watered frequently in hot, dry summer. If you want to increase fruits, you can spray gibberellin in flowering time. Mist can also help fruiting, but gibberellin works best.

5 Likes

Prof Yao’s husband has some varieties of grafted jujube trees for sale. They do it for amateurs interest.

1 Like

I think jujube trees grow pretty fast. My trees can grow six feet in one year.

2 Likes

Some of my Wechat group members met the same problem. You can try to spray Gibberellin inflowering time. Mist can also help setting fruits, but not as effective as Gibberellin. Gibberellin can be found on eBay or Amazon.

2 Likes

Where are they for sale?

that is a novel approach truly worthy of consideration – and eliciting loads of intrigue! Well, maybe just here in USA, as am almost certain China, Korea, Australia and Israel are already into it. I don’t need to do hormonal treatments where am at, since we’re situated where growing seasons are long, and i see you’re in 6B, so was wondering if you’ve actually treated your trees with hormones.

i’ve witnessed hormonal/chemical applications on tropical trees(and seems to be a hit or miss, as not all will respond with desired effects, or some will immediately respond with stellar fruit set-- only to be followed by death or protracted lassitude), so really curious about whether or not jujube’s are immune to yearly dosing with hormones and whether or not will have latent symptoms of ‘roid-rage’ or instant grat followed by splat…

I will ask Prof Yao and post the contact info here.

1 Like

I haven’t a chance to try it on my jujube trees yet. I spent summer break in China with my parents in past four years. Gibberellin was introduced by Dr Yao. She said it doesn’t cause much hurt to the trees and fruits since they just apply very tiny amount in flowering time. Some of jujube growers in NJ and NY areas even plan to pull out the jujube trees since no fruits for many years. Gibberellin solved the problem.
A lot of other jujube growers in Houston and CA use Gibberellin on jujube trees even they have long growing season.

1 Like

thanks for the info, it really is something to consider.

pulling out the trees won’t make it a learning experience— so better to make a case study of them with hormones. If the trees die, then nothing to lose since trees were to be pulled out anyway, but if the trees perform(and as others have attested to, jujus performed with gibberellin), then the juju growers have everything to gain.

not just gaining fruits, but also knowledge with the practical application :slight_smile:

3 Likes

researched on it a bit and found this

jujubes will respond favorably to gibberellic acid, but reading through the discussion portion, just before the conclusion at the bottom of the webpage, it implies underdosing with gibberellin is the safest way to do it:

"As for red jujubes, frequent repeated utilization of gibberellin will cause long and thin red jujube fruit stems, shedding shoot and vein growth of jujubes, easy falling of fruits and black head disease of red jujubes, etc., as for the spraying concentration, low concentration can promote growth of leaves and tender shoots of jujube trees and facilitate cell growth of fruits to a certain extent; however, too high concentration will inhibit growth, leading to growth inhibition and then reduction in output and quality."

3 Likes

If you want to buy jujube tree from Dr Yao’s husband, please email:
xuebingye@yahoo.com

Do you know how much to apply? Also I assume its GA3, gibberellic acid?

I’m going to try some this year. Given how people in NJ are in a similar boat as me and are having success with it it seems like a must-do for me, either that or pull them out.

PS I found the following page: http://www.plantgrowthhormones.com/info/application-of-plant-growth-regulators-on-juju-26591340.html which mentions 20mg/L GA3 plus .3% borax seems to be the best. 20mg/L is something like .1g / gallon which is about a 50th of a tsp per gallon - not much at all!

extremely intriguing options for zone-challenged juju growers. Am sure many here crave to hear from anybody plying this hi-tech approach.

myself included of course :wink:

I guess they were about 5 or 6 ft tall last fall :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can try Gibberellin according the writing. I think they have done the experiment before they wrote.