Jujube On Own Roots

I’ll have to try that. One thing I’ve noticed with cuttings that I’ve rooted is that many take a long time (even 1 or more seasons) before pushing out any significant new growth. That’s why I’m tracking this cohort, and others collected at different times of the year. I want to see if timing and type of branch matter over the long term.

When you say pencil-thick caliper, I assume you are talking about the tree’s trunk, right? Not the root caliper? Just want to make sure I’m understanding you correctly.

1 Like

i agree. Root cuttings have an unfair advantage of inherently having fine root hairs at their disposal, plus a sizeable food depot, so only need to produce leaves. Since above-ground stems don;t have much food supply compared to roots, the small amount of food a bare-naked stem has will have to be subdivided into production of not just foliage, but also basal callus, then root hairs.

my sample size of self-rooted cuttings are too small to draw conclusions from, but from my experience with li and chico, both cultivars have at least demonstrated ability to launch strong upright stems on their 2nd year, and even capable of fruiting. My r4t3 cutting seems to have no intentions of growing vegetatively, only producing herbaceous fruiting stems on the year of cloning, but the other type of good news is that such stems bore some flowers, which didn’t occur with our self-rooted li and chico.
will post a photo when get the chance.

i had little success too, but the little success demonstrated definitive vigor on their second year, so all’s well. Can safely say we’d be able to poach root cuttings from these after next growing season, yearly and serially. That way won;t have to worry about propagation via cuttings, which is difficult in vegas conditions. Btw, i have never been successful propagating via green stems, so yours and @tonyOmahaz5 are so intriguing to me. Maybe it is my rooting hormone, maybe my ambient temp, am not really sure…

yes, the tree’s trunk caliper. I presume you have some idea of bare-root jujubes shipped to you from nurseries with hardly any fine root hairs, so you simply just eyeball how much roots you’d want to leave on the specimen which you’d feel confident about ‘being more’ than what nurseries send you(and which managed to survive the nurseries’ severe root pruning).

juju root cuttings should leaf out at 3mm caliper or thicker, just make sure each segment has fine root hairs. Keep us posted here :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Raf,
I think your desert :desert: temp is way too hot and dry air with no humidity for the green jujube cuttings to root. Try my cups method indoor with partial shade near the window. Just my thoughts.

3 Likes

i did try that in ziploc bags and placed in the bathroom where there’s lot of indirect light and at ~80F but wasn’t succesful either. Makes me think my iba mix is too concentrated for non lignified stems.
will try again next year using your hormone powder

2 Likes

below is our r4t3 that bloomed on same year of having been taken as a cutting. Hopefully will launch an upright next spring

just like the rest of my self-rooted clones, it was a cutting from lignified stem, a thick one at that as shown below(photo taken 3 months ago). So now thinking older stems probably need higher concentrations

6 Likes

Here is my rooted green cutting of Orange Beauty from 4 years ago. I dug it up from a shaded spot and potted it up this Spring and it shot up to 3 feet and now it got several fruits. This OB will be at the new orchard next Spring.

Here are a few HJ seedlings that I potted them for the move also.

10 Likes

awesome right? With jujus, we have the luxury of using rootstock that by itself(ungrafted), produces desirable fruit. Also a strategic means of shielding the cultivars from dieback

the past several years, the seedlings that we found to have undesirable fruit or prickly growth habits-- we used as rootstock to graft on for giveaways. But as we build up our stock of self-rooted cultivars from which’s rootballs we could poach cuttings from on a yearly basis, we ultimately intend to broadcast jujus as root cuttings(or suckers) exclusively instead of stem cuttings.

and from then on, seedlings that exhibit undesirable traits will summarily be destroyed.

i guess just outed myself as some sort of racist. One who is much into cancel culture as well, lol

4 Likes

Right on Raf!!!

3 Likes

it gives a whole new meaning to avoiding ‘bad juju’ :wink:

our duty to broadcast the yang, and forever ban the yin

1 Like

Can airlayers be done on jujus? I don’t remember seen anyone going that route.

2 Likes

I am in the process of doing it. My 10 years old Li from Edible Landscaping. Eat-it.com resprouted above the graft with 4 large shoots after 90% of the large main trunk died from the Polar Vortex low of -31F this February. I scar about an inch on the bottom of all four shoots then applied powder rooting hormone then making a dirt mound a foot and a haft up from the bottom to cover the whole base. I will remove the dirt mound next year before moving and hopefully to see some large roots.

3 Likes

Hey Tony glad to heard about your Li that resprouted above the ground! And that you’re doing an airlayer! Would be interesting to see how it does. Keep us posted on that!

2 Likes

Yes. I have some that have been airlayered.

3 Likes

That’s great to know! I had one that I would would like set up an airlayer but not too sure of the timing?

I just notice my one foot tall seedling has several fruit on it. Interested to see if they are any good. Looks like all the other seedlings died.

Some of the OB fruits do have that constricted middle.
See the one here on the top left -

8 Likes

Nice looking OB fruits. Once my rooted OB tree larger then I will try to cut some roots and try to propogate that method also.

3 Likes

Any progress in tracking down the Lake Dallas tree?

1 Like

Lake Dallas jujube has been promised. Hope friend will send me some this dormant season.

I recall it is a good sized fruit, typical jujube shape like your photo above.

2 Likes

I forget about the Texas Sawmill, Hetian Jade, and Black Sea jujube scions in the fridge since March. So I attempt to root them about a week ago. Black Sea budded out quicker than TS , H. Jade

Hopefully they will all rooted so I will have Honey Jar, Orange Beauty, Black Sea, Hetian Jade , and Texas Sawmill jujubes on their own roots.

I forget about the Tiger tooth on its own roots from Just fruits and Exotic sprouted back from the -31 F Polar Vortex this February.

9 Likes