Jujube On Own Roots

I just put my jujube scions in storage to pots to see if they can root.

Is it too late to root the green or semi-green cuttings?

Also, @ tonyOmahaz5 How do you storage your large jujube trees in pots? Garage? Or bury the pots in ground and mulch them?

1 Like

Make sure to put a plastic cup to cover you scions for the green house condition. It is not too late for green cuttings. You still got a month or so of hot weather then move the cups indoor near the window. I will move all the potted jujubes into the unheat tornado shelter with the 150 potted figs to overwinter.

2 Likes

I put in pot a couple of the jujube scion wood stored in fridge. Most of them show sprouts. Not sure about the eventual success. At least they are awake right now. I’m gong to cut some of the new growth on other trees to see what happens. Nothing to lose.

7 Likes

Update,

It has been over a month now and all the green Honey Jar jujube cuttings and the rest of other varieties are alive and well.

10 Likes

Do you get any leaf rot from all the moisture inside the pots? I do not seal mine and I let in some air. Also keep inside dry.

One cutting is very strong and my cut is not tall enough. Have to think about replacing to another tall cut.

1 Like

No rot.

2 Likes

How many are showing roots? I started maybe a week after you and saw roots for the first time yesterday on one of the roughly 10 that I started. The one with roots is one of the thinner containers, so some of the thicker containers may have roots which haven’t reached the side yet.

Several of mine lost all their leaves, which I’m guessing is a bad sign…

4 Likes

IMO, losing leaves means too much moisture. This is why I do not allow extra condensation inside the cover. I had this happened to me with the green fig cuttings. They rot before sending out new leaves. Also, I do not keep many leaves. They will certainly fall and introduce mold.

3 Likes

That is good that you have at least one that rooted. I will check the bottom of all the cups tonight to see if there are some roots.

1 Like

Inspired by @tonyOmahaz5 's rooting successes—and by my grafted jujube losses to late freeze here in Kentucky—I’ve also started some informal experimentation with jujube rooting. My only grafted survivor of the great spring freezes of 2020, Coco, is providing the wood.

First attempt was a batch of five green Coco cuttings taken in early July, treated with Clonex gel and humidified under ziplock bags (which I briefly remove every few days in order to examine the cuttings and let in a little fresh air). Medium is Pro-Mix BX. No watering after initial wetting of medium. On a lark, also tried one semi-lignified cutting from So (already on its own roots—from Just Fruits and Exotics). These cuttings were placed in an open shed where they only receive a little direct morning sun. The green Coco cuttings failed after about 3 weeks. So lost its leaves at about the 2 month mark, but looks viable, and there seems to be a little resistance when I give it a gentle tug; don’t see any roots at the drain holes, but I’m hopeful—though not overly so.

Three fresh Coco cuttings were begun on July 27, using the same method. One semi-hardwood and two of them year-old hardwood. The semi-hardwood and smallest hardwood still have their leaves. The biggest hardwood cutting lost all of its leaves over the last few days. Expecting the worst, I dug it up today, but spotted a mass of root primordia at the lowest node! I put it back in. May not make it, but does show that Coco, under these conditions, can potentially root.

About a week ago, I moved all surviving cuttings to a location where they will get a little more sun.

My own-root So from JF&E—planted last spring—has managed to set and keep four fruit. I take that as a promising sign.

3 Likes

My old hardwood cuttings have sent out new shoots in just a few days. Some of them have dried out in fridge and I knew they won’t do well since they have turned yellow. Guarded optimism… Too early to tell.

1 Like

I had a pleasant surprise this afternoon.

I was examining the above semi-hardwood cutting from Coco, started (as described above) on 7/27----and, although there is no vegetative growth, I found the following at one of the drain holes.

It is unquestionably rooted. Whether it grows or not is another thing. This one kept its leaves. Another hardwood cutting still retains its leaves and seems to show a little resistance when one gently tugs on it—so there’s still hope for that one, too.

I recently moved all cuttings to a small greenhouse, put them on a heating mat (thermostat set to 77F) to minimize impact of cool nights, and partly vented their plastic bag humidity domes.

EDIT: UPDATE 10/7: We are nearing the eleven-week mark, and there’s another root at a drain hole with the above cutting. But still waiting on vegetative growth. The hardwood cutting that displayed root initials rotted and gave up the ghost, as did the leafless So cutting. (Complete loss of leaves seems a sign of failure with summer jujube cutttings.) I’m still waiting on the other hardwood cutting—which retains its leaves, but is sitting there, doing nada. So far, confirmed take rate—defined by the presence of observable roots—is 11%, with 7 dead, one up in the air, and one displaying roots.

6 Likes

in vegas outdoor conditions(105F under shade), what have noticed was that the successful cuttings drop their leaves(the ones i let them keep when struck them as cuttings) only after new growth of leaves gets established.

have similar batting averages here, but we should see it as 10% full and not 90% empty :wink:

1 Like

For my hardwood from storage, the initial burst of growth faded. Some still get a bit green. Do not get a lot of hope on them.

The semi-hardwood still holds on its green leaves. Wait to see.

I think semi-green wood may be the way to go than hardwood or tender green wood. Not certain.

1 Like

In the 23 days since my last post, only one more has shown roots, though several still have some leaves.

I opened up the first one today. I’ve got them all inside, in a room that is pretty consistently around 80F.

The roots don’t look that much larger than 3+ weeks ago when I first noticed them.

8 Likes

my first rooted clone happens to be an hj too, and while it managed to be a stand-alone specimen, it was also a laggard for several years before croaking.

btw, self-rooted sherwood definitely excellent as stand alone tree or as a franken-grafted rootstock. One of the least thorny cultivars that also bear relatively large fruits of excellent quality

2 Likes

You guys should look for a used 20 gal aquarium. I rooted 63 azaleas in one shot. I have also rooted many roses, calamondin and muscadines. I am so glad to have found this post. I am going to try to root jujube now. Is it too late to grab cuttings?

7 Likes

it is october and daylight is getting shorter even here in relatively toasty vegas. The weather has cooled down considerably and i don’t see much vigor in new growth/green stems. Not sure how long a warm-enough growing season would continue to induce juju stems to leaf out/root out. Bringing the stems indoors and growing them in a warm 78F or warmer room with bright lights on longer than 10 hrs probably would help thwart the dormancy-inducing effects of hormonal photoperiodism/temperature decreases to juju stems.

if you grow jujus from seed in warm conditions indoors (in winter), then take them outdoors around spring when outdoor jujus are already leafing out, many seedlings start “taking a nap” for a couple weeks or longer, dropping their leaves, apparently as a result of nighttime lows of spring time which the seedlings didn’t experience while indoors.

good thing about seedlings taking a nap is that they already have roots, and the specimens don’t have “open wounds” below ground, and can always leaf out when they are ready. Rootless juju stems are clearly more compromised, especially if they are on the verge of dormancy and probably not in the mood for addtional growth prior to getting a good night’s sleep which they were just about ready to have. Nursing bare-bottomed stems that are not ready to callus, and in warm conditions could result in microbial proliferation which will then have detrimental effects on the open wounds of the juju stems. Possible still that your aquarium mini-greenhouse would help trick juju stems into “feeling” that summer is still around and that it will be around for long, inducing callus formation with epidermal sealing of the open wounds, as well as root formation. Pls keep us posted, as am sure it isn’t just me curious about results , since you are likely be the first one in this forum to be trying this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this Kenny, I have a 10 gallon collecting dust that I never thought to use for this. Sometimes the pet stores do huge sales on new tanks, I’ll be sure to share on the forum if I see one.

Edit : something like this would be perfect https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/aqueon-standard-glass-aquarium-tank-40-gallon?irgwc=1&irclickid=3a3wKD2qPxyIT%3AMw-8w92znqUkBXoNSpRXcEw40&cm_mmc=AFF|IMP|CCY|CCO|PM|0|rBfYNcTb52ivxnPcri3CBm|10451|993950|0|0

1 Like

Update on those cuttings: the other surviving Coco cutting showed a root at a drain hole not long after the first one. Both lost all their leaves by early November. A couple of weeks later I brought them indoors. No. 1 is now starting to push a little growth.

No. 2 remains leafless and is not doing anything yet, but it looks viable—and, of course, I know there are roots down there. Think they both might’ve felt the need to go dormant for a few weeks, since they were propagated from tissues that had been growing since spring.

Rooting jujubes is definitely a slow process! The folks at JF&E told me that they were proud of their own-root So jujubes because they were “years in the making.” I fully believe it!

How are everyone’s cuttings doing?

4 Likes