Jujube Ripening/Harvest Times of various Cultivars

Wondering any jujube growers can provide an update with the names of the earliest varieties? East coast growers’ input would be especially welcome… Honeyjar is on my list.

1 Like

I asked Cliff England this question a year or two ago and he said “Redlands and Dae Sol Jo Dae Chu”.

1 Like

Jesse,
I have Sugar Cane, Honey Jar, Shanxi Li, So and Massandra. The ripening is in the order I listed

Sugar Cane ripens first around mid Sept. Honey Jar is about 4-5 days later and followed by the rest only a few days behind.

I think So is earlier than Shanxi Li by quite a bit. At least for me so far. Shanxi Li hasn’t produced that many for me, but what it does make ripen pretty late.

But, maybe the trick would be getting good early fruit set. I’m tempted to get some gibberellic acid, as Scott described in another thread (he’s planning to try it). I think a lot of my jujubes start setting in July, after being in flower for the better part of a month. If I could get them to set in June, maybe they would ripen in August instead of September.

Bob,
You probably right about So. Mine was moved to this permanent location and fruited for the first time. The ripening timing may have been off as a result.

Among the five I have, Sugar Can ripened first but by only a few days.

2 Likes

I’m keeping up with my ripening times this year. Everything is really late for me this year. I’ve just started getting Honey Jar, Sugar Cane, and had my first Black Sea today.

2 Likes