Jujube Scion Wood

Just a quick word of thanks to Bingye Xue of www.chinesereddate.com for being able to supply me with various jujube scions so I can finally top work all of my Sugarcane jujube trees after four years of wanting to do it. The trees are coming to life early this year in Phoenix, so I’m trying to take advantage of the lower temperatures to graft – usually they don’t come out of dormancy until late April and early May (by mid May temps hit 100 and the grafts frequently fail).

He still has a variety of scions left - just not Sandia, which I guess is the hot new jujube now.

Sugarcane has an astringent taste when it matures in 110+ heat during the summer here in Phoenix and most of the others have fairly bland or washed out flavors. A fall harvest, which produces better quality jujubes, doesn’t always happen. After years of being hopeful that the trees would grow out of it (or for a milder June), I’ve finally given up. Honeyjar continues to be the best jujube for Phoenix, but I’m hopeful that eventually we’ll have a larger variety that works for both fresh and dried eating.

2 Likes

Try ‘Winter Delight’.
It ripens very late and the fruit is large.

2 Likes

looks like a monster jujube.

How hot do your summers get?

Summers in Sacramento County could get up to 113.

I’ll try it out. Just ordered some scions. Does it consistently bear in the late fall?

Yes, always.