Jujubes- Our New Adventure

i love santa rosas! though haven’t seen a weeping cultivar offered at nurseries here. I just wish could grow them here without being paranoid about premature death… I’d be the one weeping! :disappointed_relieved:

i tried growing red baron and arctic jay which produced good fruits for a year or two. I sure miss them.

1 Like

LOL! WSR is almost exactly the same as SR maybe produces better. Tell me if you only had 2 jujubes to pick, what two? I only have two, I may add a third. So looking at cultivars. That is all I have room for.

sihong and chico are my top 1 and 2, but honey jar seems to be the majority’s favorite, which happens to be one of my faves as well. HJ is definitely a must-have, being cosmopolitan.

hj is a heavy producer even when grown out-of-zone( colder regions)

2 Likes

@jujubemulberry,
Thank you for you explanation. I admit, at times, I got confused (easily happens to me).

Thanks goodness, you gave an illustration using the pic of my actual tree. I am a visual learner. Seeing how it’s done is much easier than reading an explanation.

Again, thank you very much. I will try to comprehend all of what you wrote. You are throwing me a curve ball when you went on to explain uprights growing off laterals :kissing_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

juju “stemology” is probably the most complicated among fruit trees. Anyway, briefly said-- all uprights will bear laterals but not all laterals will bear uprights.

lastly, juju upright stems are generally perennial, while laterals generally have limited lifespans, unless an upright stem buds out from one the lateral’s nodes(or fruiting spurs)

1 Like

print-screened this from my other thread. Anyway, pointed at by the yellow arrows are all laterals, and two of the stems transected by red bars are the only two uprights in below photo. Take note that an upright developed from the tip of one of the long laterals(happens rarely, but relatively common occurrence with sihong, and specimen below is a seedling from sihong pit)

6 Likes

This is my Shanxi Li.

Are these secondary laterals that are growing out from the primary lateral (which grows off the trunk). They are so up right.

1 Like

transected by yellow oblongs are uprights(with laterals,transected in red, that might have been compromised by freezer burn)
Transected in black appears to be an old upright(with hardly any lateral- did you prune those?) that has been bent down, which is typical for an older tree. Hopefully the nodes of the rather spindly laterals are still viable, as those would be what produces most of the fruits of the entire scaffold. This scaffold won’t be so productive in proportion to its overall length due to what appear to be weak laterals.

6 Likes

I could not remember if I bent the old lateral (circle in black). This is Shanxi Li. It flowers a lot but hardly set any fruit.

Thank you so much for taking time to explain. I probably will end up head cut the top to stop each tree from growing too tall. May trim a bit off the end of laterals as you suggested with yellow short lines.

1 Like

Waiting for my Jujube tree to wake up. When do they leaf out compared to peach, pear etc?

1 Like

Jujubes are usually the last thing to wake up in my area.

3 Likes

People have anyone planted z.spinosa for rootstock? I got a lot of seeds last year, sowed them and most of them sprouted. Some grew more some less. However I checked them today and they are all dead. Totally dry to the root. Same case with my friend.
I expected to get a lot of rootstocks but unfortunately nothing :persevere:
How could that be, especially since it wasn’t a cold winter? And they should be more resistant than jujube anyway :thinking:

In my area, peach bud started pushing in early to mid April. Jujubes start to leaf out 4-5 weeks later.

1 Like

I finally see some green tufts on my various jujube. You should see growth soon too! Like others have said, they are the last thing to leaf out here, even later than persimmon.

2 Likes

Not sure what could have happened. Did they die during the winter? We’re they for sure Spinoza? I have lost a few seedlings but never all of them…except the time I was growing tropical jujubes. I think you had posted photos of them though hadn’t you?

sad to hear that @lilke
and really curious-- were those seeds from me? More often than not, when you plant them indoors(where night temps are not too low) over the winter and they sprout and leaf out vigorously indoors, then you take them out when it gets warmer, the relatively cool nights of spring induce a temporary and short-lived dormancy.

i hope the roots only ‘appear’ dry, and not really dead

2 Likes

Wow 4-5 weeks later than peaches. That’s late. It does sound about right because I’m starting to see signs of life from my jujubes now.
My persimmon is actually further along than jujubes.

At least four weeks, for sure.

1 Like

That is why jujujbe is the only tree that I am not worried about late frost.

6 Likes

When i was going to cut scions just by looking i was sure my 1st year jujube branches were dead once i cut into them they were green and still alive. My second year growth was a "healthy haha"grey and the first year growth was very red and dessicated looking. I think jujubes are very dormant and all the water is out of them and they appear dehydrated when they are not dead.

1 Like