Mature viewers only -- explicit Jujube videos/photos

Agree with Kathy,

Having a book in my hands as a reference is a lot better and faster than browsing through many, many posts and threads.

Sometimes, I can’t even remember what threads contain the info I need.

1 Like

Thanks @mamuang and @k8tpayaso :slight_smile:

incidentally, haven’t forgotten my little pledge to this good forum about donating 1$ for each electronic(kindle) version of the book we sell. It is taking a while as still finding a way to make the file look presentable on a smaller tablet. May just have to do away with the graphics which ms word allows(for 8.5" x 11.5" hard copy pages) and settle for one photo per page…

2 Likes

so as a follow up re: seedlings from various online sources

below are the two samples from several weeks ago. Those on the left are definitely not jujuba’s, while those at right continue to exhibit jujuba characteristics

5 Likes

Yup. Man is that strange. Do you believe people buy the seeds only to brew tea and therefore the integrity of the seeds is usually unquestioned? What other seeds are so untrue? Sunflowers aren’t sold as poppies and poppies don’t pretend to be sunflowers.

So #1 can’t serve as rootstock?

1 Like

probably not, and even if it is compatible, probably not hardy in most regions north of us-mexican border.
conversely, also worried that should these non-jujuba seeds end up being resilient to usa conditions, these could end up being invasive. And would serve no purpose if not compatible as rootstock. I have not experimented with interspecific grafting of ziziphus so will try on these, that is if it will survive our summers, or our winters(currently growing these indoors)

never thought of that, but it does make perfect sense.

i can’t think of other major species being sold as pretenders. The closest thing could think of are seeds of custard apple family(soursop, cherimoya, etc) which could easily be mistaken for each other.

also possible that just between you and @k8tpayaso online sellers couldn’t keep up with the demand that they started selling knock offs :wink:

2 Likes

the most promising and fastest-growing of our seedlings from sihong pits. It bloomed at 3rd year of age but unfortunately didn’t fruit. Also exhibits the stiff growth of its mother, and the rather early inclination to develop upright growth from the tip of its lateral, just like its mommy. Hopefully the fruit is at least as good as mommy’s. Poached some budwood to graft to older rootstock to give it a maturity boost. Can’t wait!

11 Likes

Looking Good!!!

1 Like

Nice photo

2 Likes

Thanks! Btw, @castanea was wondering if you intend to populate your next orchard exclusively with self-rooted desirable cultivars as future trees or rootstock.

Or will you be in a hurry and just take your chances with random seed as rootstock(or buy starter trees from lowes with spinosa-type rootstock)?

1 Like

I have brought at least 15 potted jujube trees with me including a Sherwood on its own roots and the original Orange Beauty which is in a 5 gallon pot. I left behind about 30-40 potted trees that the new owners of my property will keep. I have ordered about 10 trees from Shengrui Yao. I will be ordering at least 30 more trees from other sources.

8 Likes

Good luck with those new jujube trees at your new place. It will be a bit colder than Cali.

2 Likes

oh you already moved, well keep us posted on your orchard-in-the-making!

more challenging conditions no doubt. Quite sure though @castanea can easily take the bull by the horns

2 Likes

I think many of us would be interested to hear what you plant at your new place. Especially those of us
in the middle of the country with similar climates.

4 Likes

The problem is that at least 2/3 of everything I plant will be chestnut trees and that’s not of general interest in this group.

3 Likes

that should not be a problem @castanea.

not many talk about chestnuts here, so your updates should help jumpstart it.

considering that chestnut is one of the few tree-crop species we can commercially grow in usa which supposedly approach if not exceed the food value of jujubes.

1 Like

I have five chestnut trees of about 10 inches in diameter:

1. Dunstan Revival
  2. Chinese seedling from Gurney’s Seed and Nursery, makes small nuts, but was planted in a very poor location, before I knew better.
    3)Dunstan seedling much like Revival, but if no drought, keeps blooming until frost.
    4)Unknown seedling from very large nuts bought at a local farmers market, produces medium size,
    shiny, almost black nut, by far my earliest, unfortunately has many splits.
  3. Dunstan seedling, needs top worked, produces nuts about the size of a nickel, the deer don’t even
    pick them up until the larger nuts are gone.

Then I have two seedlings from Forrest Keeling that made their first nuts in 2019, fourteen direct seeded 2019 from nuts from Red Fern’s 2018 crop, and one Szego planted last month.

2 Likes

What state are you in?

2 Likes

our braided contorted jujube in winter. The braids will ultimately result in auto-grafts, creating crisscrossed branches that ‘fuse’ at their junctions.

below is what became of the auto-grafted braid fusion from 5 years ago.

note the spiraling of trunk at right

8 Likes

I have one young chinese chestnut tree already, and several seedling trees on order. I will be interested in your updates!!

1 Like

I’m near Dow, IL, just a little north of St. Louis, MO in a zone 6a bubble. Most of the farm slopes to the south toward the Mississippi River. Best soil is at my highest elevations. Where the few inches of silty loam have eroded away, mostly clay remains.

1 Like