Jujubes- Our New Adventure

Some more HJ, Sugarcane Jujubes,and more Shenandoah pawpaws.

8 Likes

I’ve probably had Li fruit that are the size of the ones in your photo, but the ones in your photo would definitely be smaller than my average. The shape seems right for Li. The fruit in your second photo looks too big to be Sugarcane, though.

1 Like

Just to add to the confusion, I ate Massandra and Maya jujubes today and they appear to be identical in every way, including taste. When I get a chance I will post photos of each

5 Likes

Any guesses as to what my Honey Jar NOT could be if not SC? The tree has a spreading/bushy growth form and relatively short thorns. None of the fruit have ripened yet.

Andrew,

Here are my sugarcane jujube on the left with elongated fruits and Honey Jar jujube fruits on the right to compare. I think your is a sugarcane jujube.

9 Likes

Wow- that’s too bad. I was looking forward to both Maya and Massandra, so now I only have one to look forward to. My young Maya has a single fruit, so hopefully a Massandra will be ripen when it is ready so I can do a side-by-side pic and tasting.

Similarly, I’ll try to do one with Black Sea and Russia #2:

I had a couple Russia #2 the other day which were very good. My wife and daughter both remarked on them.

I should also compare them to some Sugar Canes, which have been excellent. The cracking has been only cosmetic and hasn’t really impacted their use. They probably wouldn’t store as well, but I just need to get them into the house and they are gone.

9 Likes

Maya-

Massandra-

I haven’t had Russian #2 for a long time so I can’t recall exactly what it was like, but I vaguely recall the fruit was larger than Black Sea and it certainly did not taste as good.

8 Likes

Today, 9/24/20 - Pick and Compare.

2nd fruiting of Massandra is bigger than last year but not big enough yet. Same as Black Sea.

11 Likes

Two new jujube trees at OGW:

7 Likes

Here’s mine. I ate a bunch of So as well, but they weren’t on the same level as the rest.

My wife’s ranking:
Tier1:
Sugar Cane
Black Sea
Russia #2

Tier 2:
Honey Jar (she liked the less ripe one better than the 30 brix one)

Tier 3:
Autumn Beauty
So

Comparing Black Sea and Russia #2, they seem pretty similar. They also both have the same pointy tip (just a dark dot in the pic) on each fruit and are at roughly the same stage of ripeness. I don’t have that many of each though, so hopefully I’ll get a better sample in future years.

Russia #4 is a bit later than Russia #2. The first #4 looks like it is almost ready. Sugar Cane is almost done, which is too bad, because it has been one of the best this year.

Black Sea:

Bok Jo, getting closer:

It looks like something decided to sample the jujubes. Luckily it was the fruit from the sucker that was closest to the ground, so maybe it wasn’t good enough to justify climbing for more…

Do you recognize either of these varieties? For Confeti, they say “Yalta No. 2 cv.”- could it mean Russia #2?

It says Empress Gee is “Wang-dae-choo cv”, which I haven’t heard of. I think Dae (or Tae) Chu (or Choo) is Korean for jujube, so that would make it Wang. I have Tae Sang Wang, but it looks like a different shape than the Empress Gee.

Tae Sang Wang (the largest of these are like the big Shanxi Li):

11 Likes

It could be bunnies. They ate my lower fruit and foliage.

I hope Black Sea will get bigger. It is very sweet, sweeter than Honey Jar. I have not been able to squeeze juice from any fruit for brix measurement yet.

Glad your wife like Sugar Cane, too. I like them more than HJ, crunchier and larger than HJ.

2 Likes

@castanea,
Have you eaten either of those two varieties?

Like Bob said, I hope they are not the renamed varieties.

Your Black Sea looks smaller than Honey Jar and that is indeed very small…is the stone also very small?
Some of my seedlings that I graft onto produce fruits twice the size but they are very thorny therefore not interesting for further propagation. How would you rank Black Sea thorniness?

1 Like

I have not eaten either of these two new cultivars.

1 Like

Hi is the Shanxi Li worth getting. You have previously mentioned that you thought it was spongy. Just wanted to get your thoughts about it. Thanks.

The honest answer is “no” for my area. Results may vary depending on several factors particularly climate. I have Shanxi Li since 2016, as a a large sized bare root tree.

It has a few serious cons to me:
Unproductive
More fruit drops even at a later stage of maturity
Subpar taste (dry and “spongy” ) including the ones I ate yesterday.

The only pro is the fruit is large but I would take a much smaller Honey Jar over Shanxi Li any day.

I don’t dry jujubes so I don’t know how well it will work out dried. Dried jujubes are used in culinary.

1 Like

Ok. Thanks.

Harbin,
This is a small graft that is producing 5 small fruit. The first one I tasted was very sweet. The seed was proportional to the flesh.

The 2nd one was in the pic. Unfortunately, it got mixed up with several other ones that I picked. I could not tell which was which.

Next time another Black Sea ripens, I will taste it and report. I hope next year, the fruit size will get bigger as the graft gets stronger.

2 Likes

Here is the line up.

@Harbin , the Black Sea is nice and sweet. Turned out I have a dozen of them. A couple are almost a size of a Sugar Cane. That gives me hope for next year.

Of these, Vegas Baby tasted poorly and had little flesh with a large pit.
Shanxi Li were still not good even the totally brown ones.

Taste very good - Black Sae, Sugar Cane, Honey Jar.
OK - Massandra
Subpar - Shanxi Li
Poor - Vegas Baby.
Hope Massandra and Vegas Baby will improve over time. Not much hope on Shanxi Li in my climate,

16 Likes

Wow…vegas baby is really tiny.
I grafted honey jar to my Li this year. Graft took but growing very slowly. I think I have to graft it further up top.