Jujubes- Our New Adventure

@jujubemulberry , @k8tpayaso , @tonyOmahaz5 , @BobVance, et al,

Last year, I dug up several jujube suckers. Only these 3 have survived and push some growth.
The first sucker looks familiar.

The 2nd looks a bit suspiciuos

The 3rd one. Is this jujube?

Appreciate your input.

Yes on number one. Most likely on number two.
Number three looks like an imposter. :flushed:. Just my opinion. Look for the thorns.

I had one of those……

2 Likes

Thank you, Katy. I wonder what the imposter is. I could have sworn I dug up only jujube root suckers. Not sure how this real sucker squeezed in.

1 Like

The third one got a couple pointed leaves resembled jujube seedling. Just wait a bit to see if it grows any thorns.

2 Likes

Thanks, Tony. These suckers and jujube seedlings, in general, seem to take for ever to size up.

1 Like

I feed my seedlings. Usually use either miracle gro liquid or osmocote. Makes them grow faster. But yes, some of them grow very slowly.

1 Like

i agree, 1st and 2nd exhibit juju characteristics, but the 3rd one does not appear to be of the species. And not even of the genus!

2 Likes

Thanks, Raf. I may keep it for a year to see what it will be.

1 Like

Anyone plan to spray GA3 on their jujube flowers this year? I was busy doing other things, the next thing I know, my jujubes are flowering. I will not be able to spray it until this Sat.

I don’t know if we should spray when trees are just start to flower or fully flower. Anyone know or has done it?

#3 - The leaves are opposite and the stem looks square (not jujube)
plant Plant-leaves

2 Likes

I sprayed GA3 gibberellic acid on jujube flowers last night. This is an experiment to see if it will help with increasing fruit set.

I know @BobVance plans to spray it as well. Anyone else has try or plans to try it? @k8tpayaso , @scottfsmith , @PharmerDrewee , et al?

1 Like

Good observation. Thank you.

I have never really considered it. I have some trees that are very stingy with fruit and some that are loaded. My fruit set is better than last year. All the time my trees were blooming it was raining every day. I do t think any spray would have been effective anyway.

I kinda feel that my non fruiting trees need a correction of some sort but I’m thinking in soil pH. I have acid soil and I think they do better in a bit of alkalinity.

1 Like

I have never had a problem with fruit set except with the cultivar Yu.
I always had way too much fruit.

I wish I had your problem. My So from Burntridge set a few fruit on year 2 (the fruit were unimpressive). Since then, it has not set any fruit since then. It is 5 years old now.

My Shanxi Li has had tons of flowers every year but set a few fruit. Some of the fruit sized up a bit, turned brown and dropped. Probably it is a pollination issue but SC and HJ are 8 and 12 ft away.

I grafted 12+ grafts on it these past 3 years. Something will be the right partner for my Shanxi Li, I hope.

3 Likes

@mamuang here’s a pic of Honey Jar and Sihong seedlings from this year. They are in potting mix with Osmocote and we have had an over abundance of rain. Proof the jujubes like fertilizer and water.

@jujubemulberry photo of a seedling of Vegas Candy. Candy has been vigorous here and so is her offspring. Fruited last year also with small sweet fruit.

And this is a rootstock seedling that bore sweet fruit last year.

14 Likes

What size of pot they are in, please? what soil mix do you use? All your plants look great…

1 Like

Those are in gallon pots. The stick is an 18” stick stuck into one of the pots so they are about 12” tall more or less. I make my own mix. A local company puts out a Landscape and Growers mix that is mostly small pine/cedar bark fines and they mix in a bit of peat and sand. I add perlite and Osmocote.

So far it’s been a good year. Cool and wet.

3 Likes

I sprayed GA3 in the evening 4 days ago. That was the beginning of a heat wave. I’ve noticed many flowers turned brown the following evening after a 90+ degree day.

I wonder whether or not those flowers were damaged by my spraying acid (GA3) on them.

@BobVance did you have a chance to spray GA3? If so, have you noticed the same browning of flowers?

I still can’t find my GA3 from last year and the replacement GA3 which was supposed to arrive on 6/23 is still in transit with USPS (ugh!). I checked out one tree (on my way to the mailbox to check for GA3…) and saw a few brown flowers, but not that many. I suspect that it has been hot enough recently (95F yesterday) to dry out any where pollination/set failed. If most of the flowers dry up that would be a problem, but I wouldn’t worry about a few.

1 Like