Jujubes- Our New Adventure

Looks like some of those upper nodes are awake and starting to grow

1 Like

This is the “green fuzz”, or new growth. You have to look hard to see it, probably why is missed it earlier

5 Likes

Yes! I have been known to go out with my camera on zoom looking for THAT!

PS. Nice orchard back there!

2 Likes

That looks like emerging growth, right?

it does look like emerging growth. It is actually the type you want to see develop if you are in a hurry to get a bigger tree with more branching. The lateral above it is more of a fruit-producer and less likely to be a source of vegetative growth(although may also develop some if specimen tree gains vigor for various reasons)

2 Likes

Not sure if my grafted four feet tall Chico survive the -20 F last Winter. All my 20 plus Jujube trees woke up except this Chico. I bark grafted last April and it grew real well. I hate to lose this one but if it is not that hardy then Vegas Booty will be replacing it with the large Sugarcane understock. In addition, my 8 years old Li jujube got some died back on the top due to the -20 F cold.

That’s cold!! So all your Honey Jars survive that cold without problems. HJ’s just seem frail to me and my Chico just has such big heavy growth you would think it would be much more hardy. I think I may have a “wussy” Honey Jar. Maybe it just has hidden talents! :cold_face::cold_face::cold_face:

1 Like

Kathy,
I dug my up and gave it to my BFF in the spring of 2017. It grew well in her yard. The following winter, we had, maybe, a stretch of 7-8 nights temp below freezing. The lowest maybe, 8 or 9 F.

In the spring of 2018, that HJ was dead. There was roitstock growing but my friend did not want it so she killed it ( before I could get to it)!!!

My first year HJ survived because I mulched it real well. My friend did not.

@tonyOmahaz5 - how established is the rootstock of that Chico? I know the Chico was a new graft,

1 Like

The Sugarcane understock was 6 years old with at least 4’ to 5 " in diameter. I will give it another 3 weeks to see if any live buds sprout above the union before I re-graft it to the Vegas Booty. Fingers crossed. Katy, my Honey Jar and Orange Beauty took the cold like a champ!!!

Tony, where do you get your scionwood from?

Swapping on this Forum and Gardenweb the last 10 plus years.

1 Like

We have a category called Trading Post. You can post what you look for there.

It is helpful when newbies follow the forum for a while and post questions to help us get to know who you are first. Trading often needs some level of trust. In general, people here are generous.

4 Likes

Got it! I’ve been lurking for such a long time, I feel that I’ve got more time then I have😂. Thanks for the info!

2 Likes

Here’s what they can look like when they get around 1000 years old - 1,300-year-old jujube trees still bearing fruit - YouTube

2 Likes

My Honey Jar trees (I have two) are very wimpy. One of the least vigorous jujubes I have ever grown.

3 Likes

Mine too, seems to have a lot of fruit but just looks as you say “wimpy”.

I had seen that video of the old jujube orchard and think they are possibly the dinosaurs of trees…but I mean that in a good way. They have lived through all the dangers and keep on living and giving!

1 Like

Because we only see them as small young trees, I think many Americans have no idea how large they can get, how strong they are, and how long lived they can be. In short I don’t think many Americans understand or respect them.

2 Likes

I first ate jujubes 30+ years ago but the owner of the tree only knew them as dates. I’d never been in contact with them again until I joined this forum and put it together what I had eaten. I still don’t know what cultivar it was. Since I’ve been growing them I really enjoy watching them grow. They are so different from “regular fruit trees” and they are truly amazing and as you say…nobody knows.

2 Likes

Because they are small and don’t grow very quickly people seem to assume they are weak trees. Nothing could be further from the truth. They are very tough trees. Many people seem to overlook the massive fruit production that can occur, even on small trees in a pot.

1 Like

Yes. They are tough.
By the way…
This is a picture of a Honey Jar seedling (right branch) that germinated in 2017. Last year I grafted Orange Beauty onto the left branch. I have lots of blooms on OB this year.

11 Likes