Jujubes- Our New Adventure

Ok! Warmer temps have pushed new growth! Excited to see how much growth this hj will push out this season! Thanks to all who commented!

7 Likes

Did 19 jujube grafts today. This one, formerly known as Shanxi Li, has 12 grafts, 11 varieties on it.

Put 4 new varieties on Sugar Cane and 3 new varieties on Honey Jar. Hope these grafts take. It will help with cross pollination, too, if needed.

I also would like to say thank you very much to the people who sent me scionwood. You know who you are. I really appreciate your generosity.

10 Likes

Looks great. That is my kind of a tree.

1 Like

Love it!!!

I have a Jin Chang that I don’t really care for. It has 8 upright growths this year…guess what I’ll do with it next spring!!!

4 Likes

Katie,
What are we? A butcher in our previous life? :smile:

I felt guilty grafting on HJ and SC because I love their fruit. I am guilt-free butchering Shanxi Li.

1 Like

Well…I have been a surgical nurse…would that count? :mask:

I am like that too…I do not want to sacrifice any fruit bearing capabilities of my favorites!

3 Likes

About 3 weeks ago I posted a picture of jujube buds. That’s when they first appeared. They still haven’t opened. Does it take that long for jujube flower buds to open? Wondering if something else is up…

1 Like

@k8tpayaso probably could answer you that. I am not very observant. I feel that flower buds seem to progress normally but I did not recall how long from bud setting to blooming.

2 Likes

I haven’t actually paid close attention to how long it takes flower buds to open but it is a while. They have to mature and form the flowers and it probably depends on your weather too. I went through my photos and about the earliest I could see flower buds on any of my jujus was 4/13. This certain tree is in bloom now and has been for a week or two. Are you seeing these buds getting larger at all?

Yes they are definitely larger than they were 3 weeks ago. But no where close to break bud from what I can see.

Are you talking about actually “flower” buds or are you talking about leaves breaking through?

Actual flower buds.

1 Like

Okay. They will get there. I’m really a couple of zones ahead of you. Mine have been blooming for 2-3 weeks and they still have young immature flower buds that haven’t opened yet

1 Like

Thanks. Makes me feel better…

1 Like

And my trees are only at 1” green. I probably won’t any bloom until July 4 or after.

1 Like

@mamuang :cry::cry::cry:

I harvested jujubes in mid Sept into Oct. That’s why late ripening varieties won’t work where I am

2 Likes

After getting my first jujube this tree is what I searched for. It took a long time to find one.
My SiHong purchased from England’s in spring 2018. @KYnuttrees

Very productive this year…

11 Likes

Your tree looks great. I first heard about Sihong from @jujubemulberry.

Took me a few years before I could get scionwood. I did 3 grafts of Sihong this year. Hope they will take,

4 Likes

where we’re at, sihong is one of our favorites. It does not have the sugary and honey-licious names as sc and hj, but we actually like it better than either of them.

4 Likes