Jujubes- Our New Adventure

Yes, my information source is the same and They are one of my favorites. I grafted a couple last year with dismal results :flushed::cry: this was one of Cliff Englandā€™s large trees and if was LARGE! We had such a bad drought last year but I did get 3-4 fruit. Hopefully more this year. It is about 7 1/2 feet tall now.

3 Likes

Raf,

I am happy to inform you that the Vegas Booty scions took. It is now officially 'Omaha Booty". Thanks again Raf. I am looking forward for a taste test.

4 Likes

just hoping it is relatively cold-hardy. Am so curious! Recently noticed that seedlings from domesticated jujus(sihong, sc, hj, etc) tend to have higher mortality rates over one or two winter dormancies compared to seedlings obtained from thorny spinosa-type rootstock pits.

1 Like

I will keep you posted. I cut the Vegas Booty scionwoods to 4 smaller single node peices and bark grafted them all. If the worse scenario at least one will survive this coming Winter. I may Winter protect by Wrapping one graft for insurance. I was disappointed that my 4 feet tall first year bark grafted Chico Jujube died from the -20F. I was looking forward to taste it this late summer with that little tart flavor. I will try to graft it again next Soring and pot it for a couple of years before putting it in the ground.

Tony

2 Likes

Glad to hear you guys feedback on cold hardiness (or not) of some of the varieties. Jujube buds are so odd. It did not dawn on me to use a budding technique. Good for you, Tony.

3 Likes

cold-hardiness increases with caliper-thickness, so if you can protect main branches(or at least the trunk for several years) any future winter die-back should somehow be limited to stems above the trunk(above the graft).

while it is advice i often tell other people, i donā€™t do that to our seedlings here, and intentionally let the darwinism of winters cull the weak from the hardy. I mean, thereā€™s no point in propagating and broadcasting a new cultivar that couldnā€™t even withstand las vegasā€™ relatively mild winters!

thus said, booty and the other cultivars weā€™ve grown from seed should be ok unprotected(and growing on their own roots) in many mild-winter areas of ca, az, nm, tx, etc

2 Likes

@BobVance
@jujubemulberry
@tonyOmahaz5
@Livinginawe
@mamuang

And to everyone else that frequents these juju threads. I just received an email with this notice from Just Fruits and Exotics

8 Likes

thanks for sleuthing for us, definitely buying winter d in bulk. Hope they are selling some now.

*if i seem to be unresponsive the next few minutes, it is because am busy shopping :wink:

2 Likes

@jujubemulberry. Wellā€¦tell me what you think about this winter d. The picture of theirs is a bit oblong. Is that the real one?

a pertinent question that has no pertinent answerā€¦ even ogw, the original importer and trademark holder of winter d has it all mixed up. I now have at least three different-fruited jujus labeled as ā€˜winter dā€™(two of which were from ogw), and intend to collect more, lol. Will probably just buy one, and buy several of ga-866.

btw, was that a live link that they emailed you or was it just a jpeg email? couldnā€™t find it at their website. Jfae probably emailed me too, but i have too many email accounts

https://justfruitsandexotics.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6bee7f13d45babad5af75cb33&id=6f9a1410a9&e=e8a05d14de

Hereā€™s the link from my email.

When you select what you want you can choose from grafted or own root.

Itā€™s the Winter Delight mystery that stopping me to buy a WD. I donā€™t have sunny spots. Whatever the last jujube tree needs to have a real pedigree :smile:

1 Like

i guess they havenā€™t updated the juju webpage, as there was no mention of it there. Will be calling them asap :slight_smile:

Try the link I sent and then choose either grafted or own root

@jujubemulberry

Ga-866 Jujube Tree ā€” Just Fruits and Exotics

i see now. Am going blind, lol! Thanks Katy!

2 Likes

totallly agreeā€” will have the same exact sentiments if had the same circumstances.

2 Likes

Temptations abound in the world. Nothing like large fruit trees for sale on the sidewalk to test my resolve. I would have bought one but I already have Honey Jar and Li that were for sale.

11 Likes

Look like some nice trees!

1 Like

People in your area are worldly sophisticated. I have not come across one person (except nearby growing fruit members), who know what jujubes trees look like.

No nursery around here carries them although we have a large number of Asians here.

3 Likes