Jujubes- Our New Adventure

I think the pic is deceiving. Its about the size of my thumb! Hahah! Anyway my estimated frost is October 15th. Still good you think?

I am half a zone colder. Most of my HJ are about that stage, too. They will ripen in time. Probably in a week or two.

Like @k8tpayaso said, HJ can be eaten before they turn brown. I like them when they are half brown and crunchy. Very addictive.

4 Likes

Awesome! I almost sh!t myself when I saw it there. It had flowers for the longest time, just no fruit. The sugar cane I planted this spring had nothing either. I almost gave up on it. Not knowing how long it would take to ripen. Iā€™m glad I didnā€™t give up on it. So, yours get fruit and ripen regularly in your zone?

1 Like

Lol , I have one lonely jujube on my hj that I have been watching. It is still green but at least it is still there.

2 Likes

Planted my first jujbes in; 2016. HJ fruited the first and since then. It is productive comparing to other varieties. Full sun and close plants is helpful to jujube production.

2 Likes

I have one HJ leftā€¦about that size on a tree I just planted this yearā€¦itā€™s my last juju of the season! :cry::cry::cry:

2 Likes

Do you get consistent fruiting? Iā€™m really hoping these work well for me. I am loving how they avoid all the pest pressure. I was a little skeptical about planting these in my zone, but if I get continued fruit increase with age and size, Iā€™ll definitely add more.

1 Like

I feel your pain. My first and last all in one shotšŸ˜‚

2 Likes

I donā€™t have any fruit this year, but last year I had many of HJ and Sugar cane until mid-oct. I live at WNY too, but zone 6a.

2 Likes

James, where are you located? Iā€™m below the escarpment, a few miles away from Lake Ontario.

2 Likes

I live at Buffalo area, I protected my jujube trees for 2 years already to make sure they wonā€™t die of the cold winter.

2 Likes

Gotcha, I was worried earlier this year when they took such a long time to leaf out. Iā€™ve got a little buffer from the prevailing winds, so I think Iā€™m good on the protection. Itā€™s nice to know thereā€™s someone on here thatā€™s local with the same interests. I may pick your brain from time to timešŸ˜‚

1 Like

I was there at one timeā€¦ :wink:

It will get better!

3 Likes

Itā€™s common for jujubes to leaf out later than other fruit. Iā€™ve seen some bird pecking this year as far as having an issue.

@tonyOmahaz5 grows jujubes in ground in zone 5 so it can be done.

1 Like

I have been eating my Honey Jar fruits in the last week. Now most of them starting to turn browish color near the stem. I probably will freeze about 5 gallons ziplock bags in the next few weeks. I got to save room for pawpaws.

Tony

4 Likes

My Sugar Cane has started to turn brown this week.

HJ is still behind. Hj probably will start to turn color some time next week.

4 Likes

My largest fruit this year so far has been a Porterville jujube. Larger than Shanxi Li and Dae sol Jo. Unfortunately my wife ate it while I was at work and I got no photo.

5 Likes

I have two this year both from HJ. See the picture below so I share your feelings. There is one still hanging on the tree. I also have several Li and Lang and they did not fruit this year and they have been in the ground several years. They are about 6ft in height.

4 Likes

As big around as a thumb sounds about right for Honeyjar, at least based on my first two years with a still small tree.

I always see the posts on here and they always look huge. Iā€™ve never seen a hj in person, so hopefully itā€™s where it should be.