Jujubes- Our New Adventure

@castanea,
I’ll see if I could get it right:

Autumn Beauty is the real Autumn Beauty and ripens early enough for zone 6.

Winter Delight - most are mislabeled and actually is Autumn Beauty.

The real Winter Delight ripens very late and will not ripen in time for zone 6. Worse, without late season warmth, it won’t taste any good, either.

Thank you for your input. I shall forget about the real Winter Delight.

3 Likes

Correct, except that some Autumn Beautys sold by OGW are apparently Winter Delight.

And I have a Winter D from JF&E that I’m pretty sure is an Autumn Beauty. Same fruit at the same time as my Autumn Beauty from OGW.

1 Like

An unanswered question is if Dong Zho from Chinese red date and Sophia’s “Zhanhua Winter Delight” are the same or different cultivars. It sounds like Sophia’s ripens much earlier, if she was eating it in August.

you’re right, they did send them potted. One of them underwent a self-induced autumn in transit which i initially thought died but subsequently leafed out when i repotted. It didn’t bear fruit, maybe due to the ordeal.

have actually given up identifying one from the other, and when we give away budwood, we write some sort of disclaimer…

1 Like

Speaking of bud wood I have a couple of requests. Do I need to make it official in the trade category?

Saw these “Indian jujubes” (Ziziphus mauritiana) at an Indian grocery store.

I grew up eating various kinds of this species. Some are sweet, many are sour/tart. Most are crunchy and juicy. They don’t have a level of sweetness or aroma Chinese jujubes have.

11 Likes

@PharmerDrewee,
Have you seen this type of jujubes in stores in PA?

Yes, Tippy. We have these green jujubes in grocery stores here in Philly. They are the type grown in Viet Nam. I haven’t seen the red jujube species in Viet Nam. Likely too hot year round for them unless grown in the mountains.

1 Like

@PharmerDrewee, @tonyOmahaz5, @k8tpayaso, @jujubemulberry,
Have you tried this jujube snacks?

A friend bought it from Costco and shared some with me. It’s a product of China. Ingredients are Red Dates and sustainable palm oil.
High in sugar (but no sugar added), calcium and potassium.

It was, crispy/crunchy and sweet. I like it very much. I can eat the whole batch in one sitting. Can be quite addictive.

9 Likes

Not yet. But I will get some to try.

i haven’t seen that being sold around here, but have some idea what it might taste like. Jujus transform from chewy to crispy in low humidity. Some of them can get really hard too

I think “crispy” is the right word for this snack. It is not hard but crispy when you bite on it. This was the first time we saw it at Costco. It had the taste of jujubes.

I look forward to hearing from those who try it.

1 Like

I did find this…

The Chinese have processed jujubes (“dates”) into all kinds of snacks/fillings. There’s a traditional candy made of jujubes, maltose and walnuts mixed together then sliced into bars. It’s very chewy and will rip out your teeth fillings.

1 Like

they probably used lighter-fleshed jujus which don’t harden and just remain crisp. The denser jujus as sihong and burntridge’s contorted get crystalline(after a period of chewiness) when continuously toasted outdoors at >110F summers.

Turkish folks word for jujube is actually the equivalent of lozenge in english. They probably made lozenges of dense varieties of jujus. Fruit that turns into hard candy

4 Likes

Tony
Where in Omaha Nebraska do you live,

I live in Bennington Nebraska just north.

Been trying to start a few trees in backyard.

Dave

ncdave1959@yahoo.com

1 Like

What would be some leading examples of lighter-fleshed jujubes?

honey jar, sugar cane, tae seoul jo, and to some extent, li are some examples as could remember

2 Likes

Calling @jujubemulberry and other jujube enthusiasts,

A friend of a friend visited us last summer. He had an orchard in CA for 25 years. He grew many things including jujubes. He look at my jujube trees and said that during dormancy, I should shorten all the long scaffolds. He said it would rejuvenate the trees and help them become more productive. What do you guys think?

He also suggested I head-cut the tops of the trees to stop them from going too tall. This one I can understand.

This is the pic of those long scaffolds.

2 Likes