Jujubes- Our New Adventure

The varieties are Massandra, Sugarcane, Honey Jar, and my seedling jujube. There are a few more that I didn’t take the photos like Shanxi Li, Li, Mango Dong, Vegas Booty, …

1 Like

Cliff’s Pepper jujube did not survive his late freeze.

So you are the only one that have this variety. Hopefully you can safeguard it.

I do not have it. The photos I took were from a tree in Salinas, California owned by the lady who sells it, but it is probably her most requested variety so I’ve never been able to buy it.

1 Like

Is it actually named “Pepper” or just pepper shaped? I grafted a couple of what I think are pepper shaped from Cliff last year. R1T4 and R4T3 from the TVA.

Here are a couple pics of potted ones I got by grafting the sucker last spring and transplanting this spring. Both have exactly 1 fruit on them.

R1T4:

R4T3:

4 Likes

The lady who sells it calls it Pepper and also has a Chinese name for it. I do not know what the Chinese name is. It is a cultivar from China and not related to the TVA trees.

3 Likes

My Honey Jar has always set well every year.

11 Likes

Your Honey Jar needs to teach mine a thing or 2. I will be grafting more varieties next year to see if more pollination helps.

3 Likes

I bought this one as a big size 4’ in 2017 to replace a small original one. It fruited the year it was planted and every year after that. This was even when I only had Sugar Cane and Shanxi Li as HJ’s partners.

Like Bob Vance said, pay more for a larger size is a way to go with jujubes. My 1.5’ Massandra has grown to 3’ in 3 years. Not fast enough for me.

Let me tell you, I would avoid buying jujubes from Burnt Ridge ( and I like this nursery for other fruit trees). The trees are small and the So I got is a not good So, either,

2 Likes

Mine was about 4 feet tall too from JFE in 2018. It’s over 10 feet tall now. There were some fruit last year but I see nothing emerging from the flowers so far! I will definitely be applying some of that magic powder you sent me next year.

1 Like

So far the jury is out regarding that GA3 treatment. I sprayed it on Massandra and saw some fruit set, not many so it could be a fluke.

Here’s Massandra.

I also sprayed on So and got no fruit set.

1 Like

A lot of people do not rate Sugar Cane very high. I like it a lot. It tastes good, (although not as sweet as HJ). Its larger size and crunch makes up to it. Mine is quite productive, too.

7 Likes

Anyone here have any information on how to procure either plants (potted or bare root) or scionwood from the NMSU trials? They advertise them as AmeriZao I believe. I tried contacting the woman in charge and got limited responses and very little help, I then contacted another professor in that department and received no response from him. Anyone out there who is in the know? I never thought it would be like pulling teeth to find material on varieties that are being propagated in a US university. Thanks to anyone who responds.

Some of the AmeriZao cultivars are available to purchase through chinesereddate.com

You need to order well in advance, though. They probably are already sold out for 2021.

2 Likes

I really can’t thank you enough, I couldn’t believe no one knew where to purchase. Thanks again!

If you follow jujube threads, you’ll know that the Chinese Red Date nursery, run by Dr. Yao’s husband, has been mentioned many times.

1 Like

Do you see much damage from hoppers on the fruit? I think mine might have a taste for jujube fruit where the hopper numbers are higher.

1 Like

It’s not as bad as I could be but they do eat on the young fruit. I don’t think they really like it though because the damage is not large and doesn’t seem to take place as the fruit matures. It’s worse in my nursery area where I have lots of trees in close proximity.

1 Like

My damage is in a higher hopper density area. Just a bad year for them as we usually only have numbers this high every few years…so I think I’ll just pray for some rain :slight_smile:

We actually haven’t had them as bad as sometimes. We’ve had quite a bit more rain in July than usual but because of the mild winter I first saw them in January!! We still have lots of green grass around so they are concentrating there. BUT…August is here and so far very dry so we will see more. Hopefully they will stay off my ripening fruit.

1 Like