Jujubes- Our New Adventure

Tale of two trees, planted same size (5/16), same time, same type (contorted), same supplier, next to each other.

Example #1 - the go-getter:

Good growth, encouraging fruit size (though it was planted for its looks)

Example #2- the late riser (picture taken today):

I actually have a few just now coming out. Though, we did have a late-frost that hit right when the trees first started breaking, so maybe it took some time to build up enough energy to make another go?

5 Likes

Glad to see itā€™s still trying!!!

My Jujube tree is so skinny and tall and I donā€™t have a proper support for it. Just a bamboo stick and so far that has been enough. There was a bad storm couple of days ago and I could see the wind blowing it around all over the place. I was so sure it was going to snap any minute so I had to run out in the storm to secure it. Couldnā€™t do much at the time so I just pulled the hammock stand close to the jujube tree and tied it to the hammock stand. :grinning:

4 Likes

My li jujube tree

11 Likes

@Susu ,
I love to see a pic of your jujube being supported by a hammock. The thing we do for our fruit treesšŸ˜†

Luis - that is one productive Li. I just grafted Li to my trees. I hope it will be that productive next year.

1 Like

Yes itā€™s very productiveā€¦ to compensate my lang tree that allways give a lot of flowers but no fruitsā€¦ i love my li jujubes flavour! :yum:

Just took a picture :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Your tree branches out pretty high. Is that intentional?

Yes trying to keep deer out. Plus Iā€™ve noticed jujube branches hang low once they are heavy w fruit.

What is the variety?

Here is mine Dae sol Jo. It is loaded with these roundish fruits.

12 Likes

Dae Sol Jo? I think this photo is from Cliff -

This photo is mine. Dae Sol Jo is the one on the right -

7 Likes

WOW! They look amazing! I just have li producingā€¦ in Europe we have very few varieties available.

2 Likes

A couple years ago I had 2 jujubes leaf out very late. One at the start of August and another at the start of September. Both were at the same property and I later found that the soil stayed very dry. I was later planting one nearby and even a few hours after a rain, the soil was bone dry. I think the one that leafed out in August has lived (barely), while the one that leafed out in September didnā€™t come back the next spring. You may want to give them some extra water and a layer of mulch.

2 Likes

True, but we will do our best to get as many as possible and spread them :slightly_smiling_face:
Harbin have decent number of varieties also.

I think he is the one that donā€™t sell plantsā€¦ If you have some nice varieties Iā€™m interestedā€¦ :+1:

1 Like

Iā€™m working on getting more for years. Thanks to the good people here Iā€™ll succeed.
By the way Harbin sells jujubes.
His website

1 Like

No, infortunately he donā€™t want to sell grafted trees, just scion wood.

I do sell plants but I donā€™t send plants. And I do send scionwood in winter. Compreende?

1 Like

Yes, i understand that you donā€™t sell me plantsā€¦