Juliet Cherry

@mschwendi

Your cherry defoliated due to cherry leaf spot. Then the main bush died and resprouted. To avoid this in the future spraying immunox or a similar fungicide will prevent the Bush from losing it’s leaves early that leads to death of the main bush. I’m familiar with this cycle having seen it with my own bushes and many others bushes as well. These bushes do not lose their leaves until it’s very cold out.

1 Like

I live just west of Boise - in Meridian. I just checked the irrigation line to the plant and it is functioning thankfully. I like the leaf spot idea that people are talking about. The leaves did yellow and fall at least 6 weeks before the healthy Romeo. It’s crazy though - the Juliet that died looked great all summer - and gave us a massive crop before it died!

Products like weed and feed for lawns can kill bushes and trees also. A tree can typically survive one or two applications per year but if done repeatedly for several years you can kill trees too. Bushes are easier to kill. If applied in early spring it can cause deformed leaves that curl and fall off early. If you have used this product it may have something to do with what you are seeing. It could be cherry leaf spot too, but you should already be seeing some shot holes in the leaves from your picture. It can be other things like cleaning your roof or structure. It can happen for numerous reasons even weather. I’m not saying anyone is right or wrong or that you did anything wrong but sometimes accidents happen too.
My CP got cherry leaf spot last year pretty bad and I sprayed it. This year it was half dead. It also dropped it’s leaves early. they turn yellow and brown and fall off. They say to clear away the leaves from the ground. You will notice this disease in mid summer with brown spots that turn to holes in your leaves.

1 Like

juliet tree form

7 Likes

I thought people might want to see how my Juliet was doing… I posted about 3 weeks ago about how it died off over the winter and sent up suckers this spring. Per recommendations from the forum, I pruned the dead wood out and let this little guy revive himself…

See what 3 weeks has done! It is at least 18 inches tall! At this rate - this will be huge by the fall! In the last picture - you’ll see my Romeo cherry which was planted at the same time as the Juliet in Spring 2018. I think this Juliet will survive and THRIVE!

9 Likes

I saw Valentine a couple days ago at Costco in Anchorage and made a thread about it. It probably wasn’t thread worthy- but it was the first time I have ever seen that variety sold in the US. I bought one. I went back a couple days later and everything was sold out.

I met a grower in Wasilla who had all of them, including Cupid. He probably jumped through some hoops to obtain it though.

4 Likes

We use this method for mice in the basement of our office. Very efficient and effective. Hopefully the hawks hanging around in the field outside continue to keep the population in check so we don’t have them go to waste. Also, the birds of prey are why we don’t use poison.

In keeping with the thread, a generous member here went through the trouble of excavating a Juliet root for me once the ground thawed, and I have had it potted in the grow room for a bit now. It finally started to send out some shoots, I’ll post pictures later. I’m very excited.

Bottom left is the section where the action is happening! I am hopeful the one on the top sends out a shoot too, I’ve been trying to balance enough watering and not getting rot.

3 Likes

Now that this thread is several years old and more folks have had a chance to try Juliet, I would love to hear more experiences with the flavor of Juliet.

Please offer your opinion. Is it pleasurable to eat out of hand? Or is it a little too sour? @mamuang is Juliet still more sour compared to Danube?

4 Likes

I ate a bunch last year but they are definitely sour. I like sour stuff though. I’m not disappointed at all in them, highly productive for their size. I will plant another row with suckers in a few years.

4 Likes

too sour for me, but I like sweet more than sour, they arent horrible to eat when ripe, but they are good in pies etc. They do sucker A LOT so dont plant one where you dont want to deal with that, they are productive and the pits are large enough to get out with my old fashioned crank pitter which makes removing the seeds a lot faster. Carmine jewel doesnt work well at all through my pitter.

4 Likes

Mark,
To my family’s taste buds, Juliet is sour, too sour to eat them fresh. We pitted and froze them to use for desserts.

Ripe Danube had little to no sour taste to it. We ate them fresh and liked them. I would consider planting Danube again if I could figure it out how to get it be productive.

4 Likes

I have Juliet and Romeo next to each other and Juliet has been pretty susceptible to blossom blight to the point of losing a whole scaffold each year. this is in a spot with morning shade. I bet I could cure it with one spray but I’m already spraying as much as I want to

this year might be the first real crop, the few I’ve had so far were sour but I think I didn’t let them hang long enough. the breeder has a color chart for each cherry that basically tells you “let them hang longer than you think”

Some of mine hung so long they shriveled. It is up to your taste buds really. If you like sour fruit, you will have no issue eat them fresh.

This forum has discussed the Romance series sour cherries in numerous threads. Some have nice chart of pics and taste in comparison if you would like to use a search function to look for them.

I like to eat some fresh when I’m out in the garden, just sort of sampling for ripeness. And my college-age kids will eat them as well, but we all enjoy some sour tastes. They are certainly nothing like a sweet cherry, regardless of what Gurney’s, etc. write up in their descriptions. I can eat a giant bowl of sweet cherries, but a handful or so of Juliets is all I’d eat fresh. Great for cooing of course.

I actually like Carmine Jewel fresh as well, even though they are even more sour. If I was starting from scratch, I might just grow Carmine Jewel since I think the “cherry flavor” is more intense and great in a pie. But all taste is personal and my wife thinks they might be almost too intense. I think this year we need to do an all CJ pie, and all Juliet pie and maybe a 50/50 mix to do a taste off. That is a challenge I’m willing to take on! My romance cherries are one of my favorite things I’m growing.

7 Likes

I agree, I made fruit leather and it was so good. Although very hard to make. The stuff did not want to dry. I like them in pies too. I think the flavor is really good.
I have Wowza too but have not had any cherries. I probably won’t get any this year either.

This will be my 3rd year with wowza, didnt get much growth last year tho so they are still fairly small, MIGHT get a few cherries to sample however, if Im lucky.

1 Like

My big Juliet bush, loaded with blooms. It’s 5 years old and about 7ft tall now, but never got any fruit off it. It’s bloomed the last 3 years but never got anything because of freezes.

4 Likes

After a couple disappointments this year from other nurseries, I just wanted to praise HoneyberryUSA for the Juliet cherry they sent me this year. I was expecting much smaller, in line with the past couple years of plants. This was quite the bush they sent this year.

11 Likes

That’s nice planing to buy a Juliet from there

Juliet produces fruit every year once mature enough right?