Juliet Cherry

Okay, I’ll just leave it. It would take years for it to start producing anyways. I just hope I get some fruit off the original this year, considering that we may not get much tree fruit after the freezes.

I noticed my thornless blackberries have fruit buds on them, so we ought to get a good crop this year. Did your blackberries fare better than your tree fruit?

1 Like

My Juliet is just starting to open some blossoms. Nothing blooming on Carmine Jewels yet, but loaded with buds. I sprayed them with Immunox yesterday.

2 Likes

So, judging by my cherry bushes, the order of blooming is Juliet, Romeo, and even tho I don’t have it, Carmine Jewel is last of the three?

1 Like

I’m ok on everything here at my location in Kansas. I’m on top of a windy hill and it protects me most of the time. It snowed and iced on everything damaging my late bloomers more so than the early bloomers. The stone fruits had severe damage this year but that’s not so much my thing anyway. Pomes are primarily what we care most about.

2 Likes

I noticed a couple of little plants coming up this year that i suspect are suckers of Carmine Jewel. It’s never suckered before, but i cut it back severely last year, and that might have inspired it to do so.

Did someone say these are now off-patent? I’m certainly not selling them, but if they are easy to move, i might give one away, or just start another one someplace else on the property.

Any advice? Best time of year?etc?

It only took 3-4 years for my miniscule Carmine Jewel, which was eaten to the ground shortly after i planted it, to fruit. So I’d think a healthy sucker wouldn’t take longer

1 Like

they were never patented or put under pvp in the us, only in canada. they’re covered in canada by breeder’s rights, for example:

juliet expires 2029 Canadian Food Inspection Agency - Juliet
romeo expires 2032 Canadian Food Inspection Agency - Romeo

these protections do not apply in the us, international agreements generally require separate protection in each country. also note that the names used in the canada PBR applications were simply “juliet” and “romeo” which pretty much means that’s the cultivar name and a trademark on that name would be invalid

3 Likes

Cool. If anyone in eastern mass wants a sucker, and is willing to pick it up, DM me.

I warn you, they are a critter magnet. When i bought it, i paid more for shipping etc. than for the plant, and i got three, and gave the other two to friends. They are able to harvest grapes and raspberries etc , that are all eaten by critters in my yard. But neither was able to taste a cherry.

2 Likes

Yup, and here where the cherry was developed it gets -45C and I recall a few -50C winter days.

I do know a little bit about Canadian patents. If you patent a plant in Canada you must also patent it in every country that you wish to protect it in, a Canadian patent only holds true in Canada. Conversely if a US company fails to hold a Canadian patent on their plant or tree it is not considered protected in Canada.

Also, Canada does have personal exemptions for plant divisions. If you are dividing a plant for personal use and not sale you are free to do so regardless of patent. You cannot, however, sell the plant.

ETA, I just looked and yes they are still on patent till 2029

2 Likes

They have another trick they used here since patents expire in 20 years they added a trademark which does not expire so even if the patent is up we can never call the correct name and sell it Romeo Dwarf Cherry Tree | Gurney's Seed & Nursery Co. . Juliet, wowza, Romeo and so on are all trademarked whereas carmine Jewell shows no trademark.

2 Likes

Yes, trademark names are different.

Trademarks do annoy me, the Pink Lady fiasco annoys me, it is Cripps Pink and IMO it will always be Cripps Pink. Marketing the tree as Pink Lady when in all actuality Pink Lady apples are chosen out of the best quality Cripps Pinks is slightly disingenuous.

3 Likes

Exactly it’s a way of beating our patent laws. It’s definately a growers way of finding loop holes in the laws. This is a fairly new thing it was once frowned upon to do something like trademarking plants.

2 Likes

Okay then, it sounds like I can propagate it, I have no intention of selling it, just plant it somewhere else on the farm.

Saying that, if I decide to dig it up and plant it somewhere else, what’s the best course of action? Can it be dipped in rooting compound and planted in a pot for like a season, and then transplanted into the ground? I recall a thread about someone, maybe @TheDerek trying do this with maybe Carmine Jewel?

2 Likes

I have found the Carmine Jewel suckers are attached to a lateral root from the main bush, and that they don’t always have a lot of roots of their own. I would suggest severing that with a shovel or pruners, but leave the sucker in place for another year to grow more roots before digging and transplanting it to a new location.

7 Likes

That’s what I find to be the most successful. Use a spade to cut the root, leave it place for a while then transplant after it has sent out its own roots.

1 Like

Alright - I need some help. This picture is a Juliet that I planted in April 2018. Last year - 2020 - I got about 25 lbs of cherries off of it. They were awesome. This year the main plant is dead. All that is there today are a ton of these suckers at the base. The picture is a closer up picture of the suckers - some about 12 inches tall.

What do you think? Should I dig this whole plant up and replace it? Or thin the suckers, remove the dead wood, and let the suckers grow? Would they ever fruit in the future? Is it possible that I killed the main plant it by letting it bear so much fruit???

Next to it is a Romeo that I planted at the same time in April 2018. It also gave about 25 lbs of cherries in 2020. It is doing amazing this year again - totally loaded with fruit. It is right next to my poor old Juliet.

Thoughts? Dig up and replace the juliet - or will the suckers eventually provide fruit?

Thanks!

Hello Mark,welcome to the forum.
Personally,I’d try removing the dead wood and let the suckers grow.They should be the same Juliet.
It seems odd that producing fruit,will kill the plant like that.

Cherry branches die and fall all the time. If it wasn’t for how big Sweet cherries and American Black cherries get I doubt we would ever consider cherry wood useful for anything other then smoking delicious chicken.

U of S cherries have 3 sets of genes from a ground cover bush type cherry and 1 from sweet. Suckers and branch renewal are its nature.

1 Like

Did the bush have leaf spot last year?

Romance series cherries are very different from each other. Carmine jewell is a good producer once it starts. Juliet is doing fine at the @39thparallel nursery and at my farm. I have a few cherries already. Romeo is producing lots of cherries planted at the same time at @39thparallel nursery. It’s a much heavier producer sooner in this area. The Juliet we just need to be a little more patient for. Keep in mind all romance cherries are very heavy feeders. I top dress mine with aged cow manure and put wood chips on top of that. Those nutrients gets them started off right. If you don’t feed them heavy they will sit in the ground and you will wonder why you bought them. @39thparallel has a large impressive planting of cherries.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the replies! I just pruned out the dead wood. The suckers are very strong and healthy looking. I will leave them to grow as recommended. I wasn’t sure if the romance cherries had a certain rootstock that they grew from that would not produce offspring. It sounds like that is not the case.

I didn’t note any disease at all last year for either the Juliet or the Romeo. This is a picture of them from last year that I took right before I harvested them.

The only funny thing I noticed last year was that this particular bush lost its leaves about 1 month before the adjacent Romeo. We harvested around July 10. Leaves were gone by mid August. The Romeo didn’t loose its leaves until October.

While I have a listening audience… I live near Boise, ID. I can only find Carmine Jewel, Romeo, and Juliet here. How does anyone get Crimson Passion, Cupid, or Valentine??? I can find them all over Candida websites - but it appears I can’t ship them to the USA… thoughts?

Thanks again!

5 Likes