I ran into this variety which I had heard about but never tried yesterday at the market. $1.99/lb and a very pretty striking appearance. Nice deep red color. For those of you that are not familiar with it:
From Raniers website: The Junami (joo-nah-mee) brand apple was bred in Switzerland. It is a cross between ldared, Maigold and Elstar, and until recently was only grown in northwestern Europe. The enticing crispness, fruity character, invigorating flavor and undeniable juiciness makes the Junami a real thirst-quencher. Especially popular with those who love delicious, juicy apples that are not overly sweet, Junami brand apples stand out. The flavor is slightly perfumed with a nice balance of a fresh, tangy taste and crisp bite. It is beautifully round with eye-catching red color and is known for its excellent keeping as well as cooking qualities.>
It’s a pretty decent apple. The size was great for snacking, texture was firm but not as crisp as I have come to enjoy apples. Had a moderate amount of moisture. The apple was neither overly sweet or overly tart. It had some of the flavors reminiscent of some old time varieties that I can’t really peg down. My palate is not very refined. lol The apple is really one of the prettiest I’ve seen in stores. The red color is very striking when compared to all the others lying in nearby bins. In fact, that caught my eye before anything else. This apple would be a great apple to sit in a fruitbowl. The first one I ate was on my way home from the store and was not chilled. I ate another later in the evening that was chilled and it tasted better. Overall I’d recommend.