Juniper berries a source of wild yeast and more

@BlueBerry
Poke is polk it depends on who your speaking with Wild Polk Salad Recipe (Poisonous Raw) - Family Focus Blog and salad is sallet as well.
I’ve never had a bad reaction either but some polk is stronger than other polk weed. There are people who died from it where my family is from. You eat the wrong part or at the wrong time or a large amount yes it’s going to kill someone. Remember the more you eat it the more tolerance to its poisons your body is likely to have.

"Pokeweed, harvested and served as food, serves as yet another dividing line between the South and other U.S. regions. The Iowa State University Agricultural Extension service offers sober advice about what may happen when one ingests the plant: “If taken internally, pokeweed is a slow-acting but a violent emetic. Vomiting usually starts about 2 hours after the plant or parts of it have been eaten. Severe cases of poisoning result in purging, spasms, and sometimes convulsions. If death occurs, it is usually due to paralysis of the respiratory organs.” Iowa recommends that “pokeweed should be eradicated when discovered,” especially since the beautiful purple berries might induce children to eat them.

Southerners who dine on pokeweed know to avoid the berries. Instead, they harvest the younger leaves and shoots and boil out the toxins before ingesting a “poke sallet” mixture often featuring bacon grease. Scrambled eggs are another recommended complement. The plant’s toxins, according to scientific research, are water soluble, so the long tradition of boiling the leaves apparently does help considerably. The shoots are sometimes described as tasting like a poor man’s asparagus.

One region’s toxic weed is another’s tasty green. Southern Ag centers downplay the toxicity while mentioning how to safely prepare the weed for dining. Alabama’s Cooperative Extension Service does break ranks in its “Don’t Eat Poke Salad” pamphlet, which questions why one would seek to eat a poisonous plant when so many non-toxic alternatives are available.

If nutritionists knock a diet heavy on soul food as unhealthful, then a folk food that can kill with a single serving must be the most soulful of all foods. The power of tradition cannot always be understood. Poke’s history reveals a parallel record as both helpful plant and health hazard. The term “poke” is thought to have originated from the Algonquian word pocan, which refers both to the berry and the plant. Native Americans used pocan for dyeing baskets and other items. The term “sallet” was an Old English spelling for salad. The weed can be found as far north as Minnesota as well as in the Southwest, and it has made appearances in the writings of Eudora Welty and Walt Whitman.

Medicinal uses, often via topical application, can be found in 19th-century newspaper accounts. Claims of cancer cures also emerged every so often, as did reports of children and others poisoned by the weed. In the 1830s, newspapers reported the death of an Ohio boy who had eaten the root; his siblings survived. In 1851, a Cincinnati man poisoned his family after bringing home pokeweed from a city market. All were affected, but none died. Ongoing research into the plant may reveal some modern, medicinal applications.

The plant is famous for being harvested in the wild, but canned versions were sold commercially beginning in the mid-1900s. Arkansas’ Allen Canning Company offered Poke Salet (another alternative spelling), with the label proudly proclaiming the leaves were “organically grown.” Perhaps the marketing department wanted to banish consumers’ thoughts about dangerous chemicals lurking inside the can. However, it proved too difficult to procure enough of the plant to make the product worth the Allen Company’s while, and they stopped canning the green in 2000.

Not surprisingly, festivals celebrating the green seem to appear only in Southern states, notably Kentucky, Tennessee and Alabama. Louisiana once boasted two festivals, but now only the original one in Blanchard remains. Residents of the small town below Shreveport hosted their first festival in the mid-1970s. At times, organizers had to rely on Texas pokeweed, but the festival has grown well beyond its origins in a local church. By 1980, a bumper crop year for poke, several thousand people turned out for the festival.

Louisiana’s other Poke Salad Festival, once staged in Oak Grove, featured a variant of the older spelling: salot. Oak Grove is the hometown of the singer-songwriter responsible for a pop hit in 1969 that put poke sallet on the map, but with a spelling that seemed to aim for greater success among country and pop music fans. The publishers were right; the song “Poke Salad Annie” achieved even more renown once Elvis Presley released his cover version. Best known as the author of “Rainy Night in Georgia,” Tony Joe White is one of the many Louisiana musicians seemingly better appreciated by foreign audiences. Often counted among the slew of swamp pop musicians, White now lives outside of Nashville when not touring in Europe, New Zealand, and other far-flung regions.

Surprisingly, few of the avant-garde southern chefs seem to have glommed onto what might become one of the most loco of locavore trends

"

2 Likes

About Poisoning Keep in mind When someone travels from another part of the world they can get Mushroom poisoning while they know the mushrooms in there own country in different countries they might pick a look a like at least once a whole family have been killed that way (also families guest(s)
I’ve read

About destroying it better to try to teach the kids
A few poison mushrooms as well You never know what they might find or where
if you eat Non cooked Trillum (green dragon )
berries with calcium oxalate can taste like fiber glass for a couple hours
better sometimes to learn the hard way
(but not to swallow can swell throat and prevent breathing)

Thank you for posting that Song to bad the radio doesn’t play Him more
I was Older when I learned of Tony Joe White (got ta be the black, & white version)
Also I just lost my Brother In Law on Thanks Giving
A friend I showed him that song, and he loved it.

I never learned to play the song on Guitar, ,
but I know people do not know this ,
but this is Not a easy rhythm to play
(most people DO NOT give credit for slower hard rhythms or understand it isn’t easy to play)

2 Likes

I recently learned there is a wild yeast on white pine needles (the one with 5 needles per little bundle) that can be used to make a Sprite-like fizzy soda, with just sugar and water.

I’m looking for a bottle that can handle fermentation, to try it. Apparently Mason jars can explode?

3 Likes

Conceivably. Even beer bottles can blow if they’re capped too soon. Usually fermentation is started under an air lock, and then bottled after the main push subsides. There are lots of wild yeasts just about everywhere. You might look into how sourdough bread works.

4 Likes

plastic liter soda bottles work great for fermentation. if you forget to loosen the cap they will expand to nearly 2xs their size before exploding. ask me how i know this. :wink: i use them to make cheap wine all the time.

6 Likes

@IntrepidNewbie

There is lots of wild things out there people are unaware of. That frosty coating on many fruits and other things is yeast. That yeast is variable in flavor and behavior. Things like sodapop can be easily made from scratch just like alcohol. It was originally all part of the same process using yeast. Breads are only slightly different. Yeast was a big part of our diet throughout history. Fermenting , culturing, or brewing has been widely practiced a long time. Yogurt takes a starter like cheese , and vinegar or kombucha take a mother. Sauerkraut and other dishes and drinks all require fermentation. Definately worth knowing every bit of what your doing because in hard times knowledge can be the difference between life and death .

https://growingfruit.org/t/making-homemade-sodapop-from-scratch/40150

2 Likes

It’s good to know all these things if we ever lose access. The toilet paper saga proved it’s possible. I’ll have to test out the juniper berry yeast. I read yeast also grows on human body as well, but may be icky to use in food preparation. Folks in past was a lot less squeamish though.

Yeast was known for long time all over the world. Some religious leaders also debated over whether Jesus ate leavened or unleavended bread at the last supper.

3 Likes

OK, you’ve got me going now, and I can’t resist the temptation to drag in a lot of unrelated material.

It seems to me that all art is derivative and all art works harken to others. The Regionalist Art School fitted a handle to that and turned the crank. Three-name Okie Baroque masters like John Steuart Curry, Grant (DeVolson) Wood, and Thomas Hart Benton discovered their roots in folk lore.

• Benton, Thomas Hart. The Ballad of the Jealous Lover of Lone Green Valley. 1934. Spencer Museum of Art, University of Kansas, Lawrence.

(They’re pretty sure Jackson Pollock is the model for the harmonica player.)

… all of which reminds me of this versified ghost story, which, like most of the culture that managed to absorb me, was part of a high school anthology. I’ve found it impossible to date. Roy Helton, the author, died in 1977. It mentions elderberry, not pokeberry, which has a similar growth habit, as blooming on Old Christmas. Here is a reasonably straightforward exegesis.

OLD CHRISTMAS MORNING

“Where you coming from, Lomey Carter,
So airly over the snow?
And what’s them pretties you got in your hand,
And where you aiming to go?

“Step in, Honey: Old Christmas morning
I ain’t got nothing much;
Maybe a bite of sweetness and corn bread,
A little ham meat and such,

“But come in, Honey! Sally Anne Barton’s
Hungering after your face.
Wait till I light my candle up:
Set down! There’s your old place.

Now where you been so airly this morning?”
“Graveyard, Sally Anne.
Up by the trace in the salt lick meadows
Where Taulbe kilt my man.”

“Taulbe ain’t to home this morning . . .
I can’t scratch up a light:
Dampness gets on the heads of the matches;
But I’ll blow up the embers bright.”

“Needn’t trouble. I won’t be stopping:
Going a long ways still.”
“You didn’t see nothing, Lomey Carter,
Up on the graveyard hill?”

“What should I see there, Sally Anne Barton?”
“Well, sperits do walk last night.”
There were an elder bush a-blooming
While the moon still give some light.‘”

“Yes, elder bushes, they bloom, Old Christmas,
And critters kneel down in their straw.
Anything else up in the graveyard?”
One thing more I saw:

I saw my man with his head all bleeding
Where Taulbe’s shot went through.
“What did he say?” “He stooped and kissed me.
“What did he say to you?”

Said, Lord Jesus forguv your Taulbe;
But he told me another word;
He said it soft when he stooped and kissed me.
That were the last I heard.

“Taulbe ain’t to home this morning.”
I know that, Sally Anne,
For I kilt him, coming down through the meadow
Where Taulbe kilt my man.

I met him upon the meadow trace
When the moon were fainting fast,
And I had my dead man’s rifle gun
And kilt him as he come past.

“But I heard two shots.” “‘Twas his was second:
He shot me ‘fore be died:
You’ll find us at daybreak, Sally Anne Barton:
I’m laying there dead at his side.

3 Likes

That’s a hilarious bit of hard-won knowledge!

1 Like

I only have ashei, so are you saying that I shouldn’t catch yeast off of it, or add it to any fermentations?

that painting is particularly good example of that style. that and the Hudson river school are my favorite groups of works from the US to look at, there’s a hard reality in them that other concrete paintings in the US seem to lack.

2 Likes